We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitcase in water taxi and vaporetto

london
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Suitcase in water taxi and vaporetto

I've booked a water taxi to collect us fro the airport, but shall probably leave San Marco for the bus station by water bus, and then take the land bus from there to the airport.

My question is, can I take one normal size suitcase on the water taxi and water bus? I think it would be easier for the two of us to share one large suitcase, than to try and put everything into two separate small wheelie cases/bags....

Many thanks in advance

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suitcase in water taxi and vaporetto

3 of us took 3 large suitcases plus carry baggage onto a Vaporetto from Tronchetto to Rialto at peak time without a problem. Personally, I would think that 2 smaller cases would be easier to manage than 1 large suitcase. Venice has many steps over canals.

london
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suitcase in water taxi and vaporetto

Thank you for that quick reply!

Yes, I was thinking two small cases would be easier but have discovered that the hotel we're booked in has no bridges or steps to climb over - once we get off at the water taxi stop - and is only about a 5 minute walk away - so the case would be better for us. It's just that I read somewhere you can't take suitcases on water buses or taxis - I must have read it wrong :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suitcase in water taxi and vaporetto

I agree with previous poster. Bring 2 smaller suitcases instead of 1 big one. Remember that you'll have to carry them through the steps.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,962 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suitcase in water taxi and vaporetto

Water taxis sit low on the water, and can be difficult with luggage. They are very expensive.

For the vaporettos (water buses), the landing stages float and there is always level access from the landing stage to the boat deck. They are easy to use with luggage.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,844 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suitcase in water taxi and vaporetto

Smaller cases would be easier to handle on any mode of transport, but depends how you are getting to Venice . the low cost Airlines are very expensive on multiple luggage items,

london
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suitcase in water taxi and vaporetto

Thanks again for your good advice!

We've already booked the water taxi (wish I'd read THIS first! ) but only to collect us from the airport. Decided to take the vaporetto and bus back to airport when we leave..... I'm a bit worried about the boat sitting low in the water and having to get out if it - are there steps to climb up onto the land or do you have to almost have to heave yourself up - if that makes sense? I just don't want to fall in the water!

We could take smaller bags instead , we're flying BA by the way, though a case would suit me better really and as far as I know we have no bridges or steps to climb from San Marco to the hotel. The hotel is the Antico Panada, which has some pretty bad reviews, unfortunately, but the deal came up on Expedia and so it seemed silly to miss it. And as this is Venice and we'll only be using the hotel to sleep and shower I can cope with a lumpy pillow for a few nights! We'll be out from the crack of dawn until fairly late at night exploring.......

If anyone knows if there are bridges or steps to cross from the water taxi stop at San Marco to the Antico Panada, then I'll have to seriously consider just taking smaller bags.

One other thing - are there steps or anything from the airport to the water taxi stop outside?

Thanks again.......

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suitcase in water taxi and vaporetto

Taxis sit as high or as low as the water level is. They are perfectly safe and an efficient fast way to travel from the airport. You pass your bag to the helpful driver who willplace it in the taxi. He will then if you wish take your hand luggage and place it in the cabin. Then he will help you into the taxi. It is a case of 3 steps down. The landing stages the ones you are using have gradual steps on the,as well meaning you can get level with the taxi as you step in.

8. Re: Suitcase in water taxi and vaporetto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 00:17