We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you wish you'd known on your first visit..?

shp
Wokingham, England
Level Contributor
345 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
What do you wish you'd known on your first visit..?

I am just starting to plan for my first ever visit to Venice. My husband went about 40 years ago on a school trip but all that he can remember is that he kissed a girl!!

So, I was wondering, is there anything you wished you'd known when planning your first trip or when in Venice for the first time? All thoughts gratefully received

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you wish you'd known on your first visit..?

Without a doubt... just how chilled to the bone one can get when stupid enough to be outside on the vaparetto for too long in mid-February!

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/136420450

Peter

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,230 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you wish you'd known on your first visit..?

a long time ago and many trips, but mainly no trying to do and see too much, take it as it comes not too much planning,

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you wish you'd known on your first visit..?

I agree with Sophie -- allow plenty of time to wander -- Venice is a great place to immerse yourself in without too much agenda.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you wish you'd known on your first visit..?

I wish I'd known that 3 days wasn't enough.

Also wish I'd worried less about getting lost and just wandered aimlessly some more.

Probably a good think I didn't know that it was the start of a never ending quest for more time in Italy .

Bet your husband kisses a girl this trip too!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
151 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you wish you'd known on your first visit..?

How beautiful each scene of every bridge that we cross with the sunlight highlighty each move we made.Venice's romance comes from being simple in form. I miss those pictures in my memory.

6. Re: What do you wish you'd known on your first visit..?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2012, 20:42
Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you wish you'd known on your first visit..?

The best part of going to Venice is to plan not one thing!!!!!! Of course, one must see San Marco and the Doges Palace. After that, just walk and walk some more. We are going again in May and I have nothing on the agenda. I know it will be delightful.

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you wish you'd known on your first visit..?

I alway keep a list of a few good rest/ciccetti bars in each area, list of closed hours/days and addresses and a map, then wherever you end up, when your hungry youv'e got a plan.

Book restaurants for dinner before leaving and make sure you know how to get there with google maps/veniceconnected.com. You don't want to get caught out missing reservations.

We now know how convenient and economical apartments can be. Wonderful for creating meals with local produce.Good for keeping expenses down for longer visits, although can get 3 day rentals now.

That a little Italian goes a long way, effort will be appreciated.

My style is informed but casual, know what you want to see but don't pressure yourself with strict plans.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you wish you'd known on your first visit..?

I was going to ask a question about this very topic! I am in Venice in early June for a very limited time and was wondering whether to book a tour (we will be coming off a cruise ship) or just 'do our own thing' with a couple of destinations in mind. Now, after reading the replies, I think we will just pick out one or two places and wander!

shp
Wokingham, England
Level Contributor
345 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you wish you'd known on your first visit..?

Thank you all for your ideas. I must say I am a person who is guilty of over planning but usually once I get to a place all my plans disappear and I spend my time sitting in cafes watching the world go by....but at least my endless planning means I have committed the layout of the city to memory which helps a bit!

Thank you "cattivojo" for your comments about my husband kissing a girl this time too....its quite a few years since anyone called me a girl but maybe with the magic of Venice......