We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone in Venice now (March 2012)?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
66 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone in Venice now (March 2012)?

Hi TA friends. Just got some pictures of Venice. I think they were from this winter, which I know was ghastly, but in these photos the water level was VERY high. Just wondering how things are looking now... We will be there in several weeks, and would like to be prepared! Much thanks.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone in Venice now (March 2012)?

I don't think Venice had abnormally high acqua alta this year; it did in December a year or two ago. It had extreme cold this winter, but that's gone.

Acqua alta can't be predicted weeks in advance; it's a combination of tide and wind.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,221 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone in Venice now (March 2012)?

Water in the streets of Venice is not a cause for concern. It is the result of a combination of tide and wind that produces an unusually high tide. Water comes into the lower parts of the city; when the tide turns, it goes away. The city council puts out wooden walkways so that people can still get around.

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone in Venice now (March 2012)?

I had a friend in Venice for 3 months (Nov to Feb) and did not experience any acqua alta this season. The chances for March are low.

TAb

uk
Level Contributor
472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone in Venice now (March 2012)?

i just got back, last week [was there, 17-22 feb.] - and it was like summer, every day!

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
8,960 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone in Venice now (March 2012)?

its mild at the moment and although things can change we have had had very few high tides this winter.....UNlike last year !

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
66 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone in Venice now (March 2012)?

Thanks to all. SOmeone sent me some very odd photos, almost looked altered, but I wanted to ask TA anyway. I really appreciate all the comments. We love Venice, this is our third trip, so water will not stop us, just like to be prepared.

If you read this, sydneynick, I LOVE your profile picture!

UK
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone in Venice now (March 2012)?

Was there for the last new moon and the tide was a lot lower than I expected. Pretty much out of acqua alta season now so you should be OK.

It is not a big deal when it does happen as it is only for a few hours and the city is used to coping.

8. Re: Anyone in Venice now (March 2012)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 20:14