We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your 'Venice top 3'?

UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Your 'Venice top 3'?

Hello All,

We are going to V for the first time this Saturday for four nights. In advance of the trip, I've been reading posts here with some interest and thought it might be useful for all if we gather a collection of 'Best 3' in the one thread; the idea being that we each provide our top three recommendations (e.g. restaurants, must-sees, a combination of) with an eye to helping the budget-conscious and providing information that might not be readily available in the standard guidebooks.

Thanks in advance for your posts and be assured that our own will be delivered soon after we get back to the UK on Wednesday.

Best to all,

Applesink.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your 'Venice top 3'?

My favourites would be views of the city from various vantage points:

1. Standing on tha Accademia bridge, looking out to the Grand Canal.

2. Ditto, standing on the Rialto Bridge!

Then:

3. The ride up and down the Grand Canal , on the Number 1 waterbus. An hour of wonderful sightseeing on the boat, stopping on both sides of the Canal, all for 5 euros. If you are lucky, you can hop off one boat and onto another one going in the opposite direction, all within the hour, which is how long the ticket is valid for! Possibly the most impressive boat ride in Europe, I'd say.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,071 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your 'Venice top 3'?

A ride down the Grand canal is certainly a must,

Wander down the canals away from th maddening crowds,so peaceful ,no cars really is a pleasure

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your 'Venice top 3'?

1. Breakfast on the Grand Canal

2. The Secret Itineraries Tour

3. Coffee at Florians

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Your 'Venice top 3'?

1. admiring by the bridge of sighs

2. Attending Easter Mass at St.Marko

3.Standing on the Rialto Bridge.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your 'Venice top 3'?

Only three!

1. St Mark's Square on a balmy evening, listening to the orchestras.

2. Arriving by boat from the direction of the Lido/airport - on the left, San Maggiore, on the right, the Doge's Palace, the Campanile, the columns of San Marco and San Teodoro and a waterfront dotted with bridges, and straight ahead, Santa Maria della Salute - there is so much, you don't know where to look and it's like entering a painting.

3. The Accademia bridge - everything about it, the spectacular views, the campi on each side and the fact that it is a simple, but beautiful, wooden structure that was only supposed to be temporary.

Madrid
Level Contributor
290 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your 'Venice top 3'?

1. Grand canal from Piazzale Roma to San Marco at late evening on vaporetto numer 1.

2. Scuola Grande di San Rocco

3. Wandering around

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Your 'Venice top 3'?

I must admit illyria2 you are absolutely right the list is endless.

For example, I will never forget listening to the orchestras at St. Mark's Square just after the Easter Mass...can't wait to experience all again.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your 'Venice top 3'?

I will add my 3 when i return from 3 days in Venice,in May...thanks for all the wonderful tips.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your 'Venice top 3'?

1. The view of Venice the first time you walk out of S. Lucia Station combined with a trip down the Grand Canal!

2. Shopping at the supermarket, waiting for your number to be called as you are standing by the deli counter staring at the wonderful assortment of proscuitto, meats and cheeses, listening and watching the locals interact with each other.

3. Walking the canals early in the morning while they are empty and seeing all the school-age kids walk to school (the only time I saw so many children). (The view from Arsenale along the canal to San Marco on an early, sunny morning).

I think that is more than 3 :-)

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your 'Venice top 3'?

Wandering the alleyways late at night after most of the tourists have gone home.

walking around murano early morning in the mist when few people around, it is magical

standing on the accedemia bridge(excuse my spelling)in the middle of the day watching the coming and going and knowing that is really a working city