We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gondolas

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
peterborough
Level Contributor
126 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
gondolas

we are going to venice soon and looking at a gondola trip.it seems its 80euros for 40mins.is that right? why is it so expensive?.its only a fancy canoe! any tips or advice please

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gondolas

A canoe!!! My brother built canoes as well as other types of boats, woodcraft work and you couldn't be more wrong. I have never had a canoe ride anything close to what the atmosphere is in a gondola. If your not impressed by Gondolas why are you even thinking about going?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,837 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gondolas

This is the official Tariff for Gondolas,

www.gondolavenezia.it/history_tariffe.asp…

Gondolas are no way just Canoes they are expensive purpose

built craft, you can always cross the Grand Canal in a Traghetto, which is a Gondola ,cost 50cents

Edited: 02 March 2012, 18:25
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,412 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gondolas

You may want to have a look (to start) at …wordpress.com/2012/… as well as at http://ytaba36.wordpress.com/tag/gondola-2/

Not that many others haven't written as much, but it is a wonderful "infarinatura" by a TA regular.

Canoe. Not.

Sort of like comparing a Schwinn to a Vespa... or to a Harley.

Advice? Skip it; as you probably won't appreciate it at all, and not enjoy it as a consequence.

Edited: 02 March 2012, 18:50
United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gondolas

You are paying for history and a view that can you get no other way if you leave the Grand Canal and go through the lesser traveled paths.

TAB

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
500 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gondolas

Is that 80 euro per person or for a couple?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gondolas

Per party during the day time. Higher in the evening.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: gondolas

The price is 80 euro regardless of how many people are in the gondola (if you had 4 people it would still be 80 euro)

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gondolas

It is worth it.

One important thing is that you do not have to tip the gondolier. We did not anyway 'cause of advice on this board. I still wonder if it was okay not to.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: gondolas

I agree that it's worth it. Only 2 times I did not tip in Venice was the gondolier and for the water taxi - the price for both is so expensive and I have no doubt that both make a good profit.

peterborough
Level Contributor
126 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gondolas

hooked on venice.........So you think that because I believe 80 euros for a 40 minute ride in a gondola is expensive, I shouldnt go to Venice? nice!!!! very helpful.not everybody is made of money!

Edited: 07 March 2012, 17:40