We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have a wedding in Slovenia & want to add Venice or Vienna

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
471 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
I have a wedding in Slovenia & want to add Venice or Vienna

This summer I am attending a wedding in Slovenia. I have never been to Slovenia, Venice or Vienna. I can arrive in Europe on a Friday morning and am leaving the following Sunday morning. My question is do people think I should spend the entire time in Slovenia or should I add on Venice or Vienna. I know I don't have time to add both Venice and Vienna. Which once would be best to add if people don't think I should spend the entire time in Slovenia? Also, how many days should I spend in Slovenia and how many should I spend in the other location? Sorry for posting such a broad email.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have a wedding in Slovenia & want to add Venice or Vienna

Both destinations are places to be experienced, therefore its really a toss of a coin.

www.wien.info/en/sightseeing

www.govenice.com

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have a wedding in Slovenia & want to add Venice or Vienna

If I were to die without ever having been to Vienna, I would be OK. Without having experienced Venice, it would be a true loss for me. Vienna is a great city but there is nothing else like Venice on this planet.

Slovenia has lovely countryside; Venice is a great urban experience. I would chose a combination of those two places.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
471 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I have a wedding in Slovenia & want to add Venice or Vienna

Thanks for the responses. Based on your comments I will fly into Slovenia and fly out of Italy. I will have three full days in Venice. I would like to add Verona to the list of places that I visit but Venice seems to have so much to see and I don't want to rush through it.

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have a wedding in Slovenia & want to add Venice or Vienna

3 full days in Venice sounds like a great plan

Verona is a nice place but Venice is amazing

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have a wedding in Slovenia & want to add Venice or Vienna

easy to get the train from Ljubljana to Venice.....just organise accom and get off at station right at the start of the canal......jump a boat and its on !

The comments are correct about about a must see and maybe a daytrip to Verona could be squeezed if you are a tenacious traveller.

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I have a wedding in Slovenia & want to add Venice or Vienna

Have a lovely trip!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,902 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I have a wedding in Slovenia & want to add Venice or Vienna

There's actually no direct train from Ljubljana to Venice. You're probably best off taking a bus to Trieste, then a train. Or, if you will be in the north of Slovenia, going through Villach might be an option.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I have a wedding in Slovenia & want to add Venice or Vienna

There are direct buses from Ljubljana to Venice, as well.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I have a wedding in Slovenia & want to add Venice or Vienna

since when have they stopped the direct train...... this Year?

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
471 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I have a wedding in Slovenia & want to add Venice or Vienna

Do people suggest a bus/train to get to venice instead of a boat. I am going from the capitol to Bled and then from Bled to see the castle that appears to be coming out of a mountain. After that we are viewing the caves and then traveling to Lipica. From Lipica we were going to goto Piran and the towns in that region prior to catching a boat to Venice. However, if you believe it is better to take the train/bus to Trieste we will need to change a few of the days we do things.