We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

purchasing train tickets from venice to rome - when/how?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
purchasing train tickets from venice to rome - when/how?

i'm wondering when/how i should be purchasing our train tickets from venice to rome to get the best price (we are looking to travel early june, before the 10th). looking for a way to buy that is easy and will accept our credit card (AUS) and also, we don't have a working printer atm, so i can't print out the tickets at time of purchase. are june prices released yet and are mini fares able to be purchased now? can we even purchase mini fares months in advance or is that a fare you only purchase a few days ahead? 1st time to europe and booking this like this, it is so confusing!

what is the difference between buying on the trenitalia site vs the le frecce site? when i put in a date on the trenitalia site (say june 7th for example) it appears 2nd class is 76euro.. so does that mean all the cheaper fares are sold out?? it looks like only 5 options with 76 being the cheapest. we want to get there the fastest cheapest way. so i was assuming 2nd class es av FRECCIARGENTO train, is that correct?

i know this question is asked very often, so i appreciate if you take the time to reply.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: purchasing train tickets from venice to rome - when/how?

Both Trenitalia and LeFrecce web sites are run by Trenitalia: they offer different interfaces to the same booking engine.

On the Trenitalia site, to see all the fares available on a train, you have to select the train with the radio button at right and then click "Continue". You will then see the Mini fares, if available.

If the days you want to travel have fares listed, book now. The number of Mini fares is limited and they sell out well before the travel date.

You can book through either site with an Australian card. You get sent an e-mail with a PDF file attachment. At some time before you travel, you should print out this PDF. If you can't get your printer to work, OfficeWorks will print out a PDF quite cheaply.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: purchasing train tickets from venice to rome - when/how?

Very useful thread here by GAC

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k516…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: purchasing train tickets from venice to rome - when/how?

thanks for your reply nick. i'm not computer savvy, i don't know what different interfaces means, but i gather that means just different formats so it doesn't matter which i book (tell me if i'm way off)

i'm sorry, i don't see a radio buttom at right. at the right side of the page there is a select circle to click, that is the only thing to click is there a way to see all the fares at different times throughout the day? i haven't decided when we will leave, but i just put in 10 again it shows about 5 options. i must be doing something wrong. i am putting depart from venezia santa lucia to roma termini and chosing the date june 7 and just entering 10 for time. what am i doing wrong?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: purchasing train tickets from venice to rome - when/how?

On the example date that you mentioned, I can see some Mini fares at € 19 for 08:57 and 09:27 departures from Venice S.Lucia.

Please be aware that if you go via the LeFrecce site you have to use the Italian names for the stations, i.e. Venezia S.Lucia and Roma Termini.

No problems with Australian credit cards, my son just made a booking last November.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: purchasing train tickets from venice to rome - when/how?

thanks for the link jessy.

yes i must be doing something wrong because i do not see any listing for mini fares!! it only shows 1st price, 2nd price, then select circle next to it. and i am putting in the italian names!

i feel like an absolute moron for not being able to figure this out :/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: purchasing train tickets from venice to rome - when/how?

Trenitalia and LeFrecce are different ways of using the same booking engine.

On the Trenitalia site, click what you call a "select circle" (and I call a "radio button"), then click the button labelled "Continue>>". You will then see the Mini fares.

Or go to www.lefrecce.it where you use Italian place names, and it will show all the fares without you clicking anything.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: purchasing train tickets from venice to rome - when/how?

oh i just got it to work on the le freece website, for 2 passengers it is showing a mini fare of 38 euros.

ok then i hit the back button to change the time and i lost the darn page!! and now i can't get back, it was even saying wrong station number. this is so frusturating!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: purchasing train tickets from venice to rome - when/how?

yep, trying again and now it's saying the date is not correct. what?! i put in june 7 2012 before, as did another poster above. i think i need to quit for tonight as i'm making an utter fool of myself. tonight i want to either cry or scream, but hopefully tomorrow i will be laughing

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: purchasing train tickets from venice to rome - when/how?

Trenitalia expects dates in DD/MM/YYYY format....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: purchasing train tickets from venice to rome - when/how?

thanks nick.. i have no idea what i was doing wrong but it is working now. just lots of trial and error i guess!

so i probably should book so i don't loose the fare as it will only get more expensive, correct?. does this seem right: venezia s lucia departing 11:27 arriving roma termini 15:14 (3hrs 47mins) 2nd class 58E. so the price seems good.. i just want to make sure this is the right train to venice from the main station to rome and we don't need to get off or switch trains. do we just get allocated a seat or can we choose? i would like to sit next to my husband if possible. should i book this one?