We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Venice - Sydney Traveller please help!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
528 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Venice - Sydney Traveller please help!

Hello All,

We are travelling to Europe end of September/early October 2012 for the first time and going to London, Paris, Venice and then to Rome. We live in Sydney and haven't been to most European counties except London.

We are going to be flying from Paris to Venice and staying 2 nights.

Can you guys pleas suggest a hotel or an area which is walking distance from most tourist attractions ?

Travel dates: 30th Sep - 2nd October

I'm travelling with my wife

We want a clean room and good toilet.

Walkable distance to most tourist attractions or near train station

Our budget is from 110 Euro - 160 Euro Max.

The place should be near cafe's etc so that we can jump out eat out.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
SUP in Venice
Historic Walking Areas, Sightseeing Tours, Water Sports, Cultural Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Vinicio Tassani Photographer
Multi-day Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Turive
Sightseeing Tours
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,380 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Venice - Sydney Traveller please help!

Venice is small everywhere is in walking distance,, your budget is not bad but this is high season price wise,, and hotels can book Motnths in advance,, Hotels are clean in general you should not havea problem on that score,

Have a look at www.venere.com put in your dates as see what is available at your budget,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
528 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Venice - Sydney Traveller please help!

I just went to the site ... there's few area's in Venice and I am not sure which one is more popular.

Can you tell me if Florence is nicer than Venice ? I can't seem to find much to do in Venice except travel by boat.

Also I thought September is mid season not too high or low. Isn't this after the Summer season ?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,380 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Venice - Sydney Traveller please help!

I think you should buy a good Venice guide book, and see the multitude of things there are to do and see in Venice,, many would prefer Florence than Venice, but this is the Venice forum so not really the place to ask that, September and October are very popular time in Venice High season price wise as ia April to June,

All area in Venice are popular , people have their favorites, they all have something different to offer,

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Springfield...
Level Contributor
361 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Venice - Sydney Traveller please help!

I am searching for hotels too as we are going to return to Venice in September also. We are also looking at B and B's and there are some that you will find might fit your criteria. You can compare hotels and b and b s on here and putting in your budget. We like the San Marco area, the Rialto area, and near the vaporetto stops. And walking distance to most things in Venice is not a problem. So many shops, restaurants, museums and we walked to them all. Got lost many times but found interesting things that way! Good luck with your search!

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
417 posts
694 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Venice - Sydney Traveller please help!

Hello worriedgrad

we are also traveling to venice next month. I just did alot of research. We looked for something in the historic district... didn´t want to have to catch a bus to get anywhere. Eventually we settled on Messner hotel. It looks really nice, and is in the historic area, and alot cheaper than other hotels in the tourist area. The reviews say the location is great, but some complain that the staff can be rude or indifferent. Personally, I will put up with that if it saves me 100 euro per day. We paid only US$400 for 3 nights by selecting the zero refund on cancellation option.

I came to the conclusion that if you want a quality hotel with "normal" facilities like we are used to in oz, you won´t find it in the middle of the tourist area on your budget, certainly not in summer season, unless you want to settle for a B&B. Personally we don´t like them because its like being a guest in someones house, but maybe they woud suit you...?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Venice - Sydney Traveller please help!

Hi there

We had a very comfortable stay at the Hotel da Bruno.

Kind Regards

Merran

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,380 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Venice - Sydney Traveller please help!

Actually B&B's in Venice are really nice not like the usual impression of B&B's and very good value, we would not stay anywhere else by choice,

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in Venice - Sydney Traveller please help!

Hi

I finally came across this hotel by looking at the google map. I have added its website also.Click on the photos for a larger view. It is very close to San Marco Square, Doge's Palace and the Bridge of Sighs as well as the cathedral and a few museums in the same square. The vaporette stop is at the bottom of the street and a good trattoria in the same street. On the vaporette stop there we can get over to Burano Island in about 20 mins and also up or down the Grand canal from/to the station. It is only 2 streets and a bridge to the Square walking along the waterfront (5 mins). We have two tours booked from near San Marco square so very convenient, especially when time is limited. The hotel room rate includes breakfast each morning. It is a boutique hotel and looks pretty basic but clean. The staff are exceptional I believe. We will be there late Sept early Oct for 4 nights.

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g187870-d237…

May need a pair of gollashes if the water is up. I did read somewhere that the high tides are usually in winter...

http://www.commercioepellegrino.com/en/

Also look at these reviews on booking.com

http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/commercio-pellegrino.en.html?aid=311984;label=hotel-83366-it-x7SajtkA6TxT5Mmb6iUMOgS10954116433;ws=&gclid=CKKH95C6664CFQcipAodKVcrJA

Edited: 16 March 2012, 12:56
New Zealand
Level Contributor
383 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in Venice - Sydney Traveller please help!

Hi Worriedgrad

My husband and I are travelling to Venice with our adult daughter at the end of Aug. I understand your need to keep within a budget as the euro isn't kind to either of us. Have you checked out Al Ponte Mocenigo Hotel? Its number 1 on Tripadvisor and looks absolutely gorgeous. It seems to be in a great non touristy area also. We have been given the rate of 180 euro for a triple room which I thought pretty good for Venice high season in such a lovely hotel. I would think they would be definately be in your budget for a double room. This is also our first trip to Italy. Happy planning. Cheers Kiwi

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo
Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo
2,762 Reviews
Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,380 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in Venice - Sydney Traveller please help!

I would agree on al Ponte Mocenigo, it is good value we stayed there last year but it is so popular getting in there is like getting into Fort Knox,