We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Great Dunmow...
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
when

when is the best time to visit Venice when the weather is still good and the tourists not over crowded

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,120 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: when

Very hard to say, Venice is always busy, , and times when the weather is hopefully good , are October, and May which are 2 of the most popular time,, but not all Venice is very busy get away from the hot spots like Piazza San Marco , really not too bad,

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,071 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: when

I was there mid-March and completely lucked out with extraordinary weather (simply beautiful) and it was busy but not as busy as I have seen it in high season like September. But, as Sophie says, it is always pretty busy but pretty easy to escape the crowds as you visit the different areas. I stayed far away from San Marco as much as humanly possible and found areas where there really were few people; I had also found that to be the case in high season.

It is really the San Marco area that can get packed - and, since I had seen all I wanted to see there during past trips, I was not exposed much to it this past one.

But, if it is a first time, you will be in that area and there will be crowds. I would think maybe January might be the least, but not sure.

Great Dunmow...
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when

how about \novemberf

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,181 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when

We visited last week, anticipating that we might not get the best weather, but might beat the major crowds, and most importantly avoid the cruise ships.

We were exceedingly lucky with the weather and as others have said, the day trip crowds converge on St Mark's Square but a five minute walk takes you into peaceful and beautiful areas.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
93 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: when

I was also just there in early/mid March and we had great weather and didnt find it to be too crowded at all. In St. Marks you could see all the group tours going on around the main attractions, but it wasnt overwhelming. Very quiet at night.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,120 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: when

I found November quite cold, but I have only been once then , may of been unlucky,

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: when

Weather is so unpredicable year to year that to tell you I enjoyed my stay in November 2 years in a row probably doesn't mean a whole lot. It does get chilly at night and you run an increase risk of more rain and aqua alta occuring. The first year I visited Venice I think it was unusually warm and we just had a few minutes of sprinkles one day but the weather was great the entire week. The following year it was more chilly at night and it rained one whole day and was lightly raining another day and there was acqua alta in different areas for about 3 of the 10 days I was there. But it didn't affect any of my plans at all.

The trade off was worth it to me. I loved the experience of the heavy fog in the morning. On the one day we had heavy rain, I just planned some inside visits (Accadema and Guggenheim). It is less crowded outside the San Marco area and I do much better walking around in cooler weather.

8. Re: when

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 22:40