We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice airport hotels question

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Topic
Venice airport hotels question

I may decide to stay at the airport the night before an early (7 a.m.) flight. Any suggestion for a hotel that will be the most convenient? I'd be leaving Venice center the night before, going to airport by public transportation. Which hotel will be the easiest as far as logistics are concerned? thanks

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice airport hotels question

I’d recommend that you stay at a hotel near the Mestre train station, where you can catch an ATVO bus (€5) that will get you to the Marco Polo airport in 17 minutes. (Venice Marco Polo Airport-Mestre—Fly Bus-Express Service)

http://bit.ly/ruPAxF

The Best Western Hotel Bologna, directly in front of the Mestre railway station.

http://bit.ly/ulxOH4

The Hotel Tritone, near the Mestre railway station.

http://bit.ly/tS3ooL

The Hotel Plaza is also situated in front of the Mestre railway station.

http://bit.ly/idV9I8

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,330 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice airport hotels question

There is a Courtyard Marriott very near the Airport, which runs a shuttle to the Airport,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice airport hotels question

The hotels located within walking distance of Piazzale Roma are probably just as convenient as anything near Venice airport, and with the first bus at 4:40am (Mon.-Sat.) and at 5:00am (Sundays and holidays) that only takes 20 minutes from Piazzale Roma to be dropped off in front of the airport doors, you can hardly do better staying on the mainland near the airport.

I personally would hesitate to travel in the area around the Mestre train station in the dark at 4am, while for the area around Piazzale Roma I would not have any problems with the sense of safety and security at that early hour.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice airport hotels question

Darkness never falls around the Mestre Train Station because once the sun goes down the area is always extremely well-lighted—and exceptionally well-patrolled.

I have been at the ATVO bus stop there at 4:30 a.m. and saw absolutely nothing that would cause me to worry about my safety. I'm sure the dozen or so other passengers who were waiting with me felt the same way.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice airport hotels question

I have never had to take the bus to the airport, but have had other occasions during the late night early morning to be in the area outside the Mestre train station, and did not feel particularly at ease.

The fact that it is so patrolled I would think the first evidence that it is not a particularly safe area.

I am sure that MonteCD feels safe. How one can speak for a dozen strangers evades me, as i can only speak for myself.

By comparison, there are only a couple areas in all of Milan where I felt as much difficulty at night as the area around the Mestre train station (having lived in Milan quite a number of years), though Milan has a population many times greater.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice airport hotels question

Personally I would feel more comfortable staying closer to the airport for such an early flight. Only because I'd be worried about my transportation falling thru at the last minute, leaving me 20 minutes away, scrambling for a ride. At an airport hotel I'm only 5 minutes away and the Desk staff could easily call for another cab, or better yet, they have their own shuttle.

I'm sure the hotel where you're spending the previous nights will hold your luggage for the day, then when you're ready to leave Venice, head to the airport hotel.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice airport hotels question

"I am sure that MonteCD feels safe. How one can speak for a dozen strangers evades me, as i can only speak for myself."

For the better part of a half-hour, many of us were chatting and laughing and joking about having our coffee al fresco in the wee hours of the morning. No one—absolutely no one—appeared anxious or ill-at-ease. It’s a perfectly safe place to be, night or day.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,363 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice airport hotels question

Monte CD I don't doubt you felt safe ... I however second Heart with this one . I have had for work reasons to be at Mestre station a couple of times very late at night and once at 4am. At 4am the coach driver refused to let me get off and he got off to look for 2 guests and left me on the bus ..He said its not safe and that is an ATVO driver !

Another time I was with my husband waiting for a train back into Venice after an excellent meal near the station. What we witnessed was not pleasant, police, youths, ladies of the night , alcohol and stronger stuff..... Maybe we were just unfortunate and you were fortunate however it is a place I would avoid if I could. I know they are trying to 'tidy' the place up to encourage more tourism in the area!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice airport hotels question

"What we witnessed was not pleasant, police, youths, ladies of the night , alcohol and stronger stuff....."

Oh, my, that sounds a lot like Venice. And Rio. And Paris. And Philadelphia.

Somehow, I missed seeing any of this in early-morning Mestre.

Just my luck, I guess.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice airport hotels question

I think I would trust the judgement of I Heart and Rosa who are actual residents on this one Monte D

Edited: 06 April 2012, 20:22