We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burano - Time Needed and Gatto Nero or Da Romano

Pulau Ubin...
Level Contributor
140 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Burano - Time Needed and Gatto Nero or Da Romano

I would like to spend the afternoon of one of my days in Venice in Burano. How much time should I allocate to spending at Burano?

Also am contemplating dinner at either Gatto Nero or Da Romano. Which of the two restaurants would you recommend/prefer? Also can someone share with me what would be the likely spend for a 3-course meal at these places? Is there a difference between lunch and dinner prices?

Thanks for your advice!

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burano - Time Needed and Gatto Nero or Da Romano

I would say about half a day but everybody is different. I like both restaurants but prefer Romano easily. There is no difference in lunch and dinner prices off the menu - they might have a special lunch menu but I have not been during the day for a good few years now. Price wise it depends on what you eat fish is sold by the weight so there is not a typical menu - romanos risotto is amazing.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Burano - Time Needed and Gatto Nero or Da Romano

Agree with Rosa - the risotto is outstanding. It has even been featured on Anthony Bourdain's show. Both restaurants can be fairly expensive depending on what you order. My 9 year old son ordered an entire fish (unbeknownst to me when I left to go to the ladies room) - his portion of the tab was 70 euros. It was a sole type fish and filleted table side - gorgeous! Good news is that he ate the entire meal, so no waste.

Nova Scotia Canada
Level Contributor
674 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burano - Time Needed and Gatto Nero or Da Romano

I loved Burano because I was taking so many colorful pictures and after half a day could have spent much longer there but it was extremely hot so I was tired of walking. It is easy to walk and see a lot and is less crowded than Venice proper. The shops begin as soon as you get off the vaporetto and there are tiny canals with lovely bridges-seems like a miniature painting-it is a working community and there are small boats in the canals, no vaparettos but all interesting to look at and walk through.

Pulau Ubin...
Level Contributor
140 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burano - Time Needed and Gatto Nero or Da Romano

Thanks for the reply so far.

I would also like to ask what time Da Romano and Gatto Nero open for dinner or are they open through the entire day? Based on current vaparetto schedules, I would like to catch the 2056h No. 12 back to Venice proper, so want to make sure there is enough time without rushing through the meal.

How much is the acclaimed risotto at the Da Romano?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,620 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burano - Time Needed and Gatto Nero or Da Romano

Why dont you e-mail and ask their times .,

Nero Gatto is info@gattonero.com

and Da Romano e-mail is on their web site

http://www.daromano.it/

Pulau Ubin...
Level Contributor
140 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burano - Time Needed and Gatto Nero or Da Romano

Hi Sophie,

Thanks for your help. I tried looking through Da Romano's website using Google Translate, but am unable to find the opening hours which is why I am asking here. If you could point me in the exact page/location where I can find this information, that would be great.

Appreciate whatever help I can get. Cheers.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,620 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burano - Time Needed and Gatto Nero or Da Romano

The e-mail of Da Romano is

info@daromano.it

Level Contributor
137 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burano - Time Needed and Gatto Nero or Da Romano

Be sure and email like Sophie said for Da Romano. i was disappointed on my trip last month as made an assumption that Da Romano would be open in the evening. I walked up to the restaurant at 4pm to be met by one of the waiters that said they close by 4pm because lack of business. They would open back in the evenings after Easter. So, be sure and email so you are not disappointed like I was...

Level Contributor
137 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Burano - Time Needed and Gatto Nero or Da Romano

oh, and the price was around 40 euros. I believe it was 20-22 euros but had to order a minimum of 2 plates...

Pulau Ubin...
Level Contributor
140 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Burano - Time Needed and Gatto Nero or Da Romano

Just to update since there may be people who are interested.

I went to Burano on a Tuesday afternoon. Went at around 5pm, which was more than enough time. The island is really small. You probably only need max 2 hours there, not including meals.

Da Romano was closed when I was there.

Gatto Nero opens only at 1930h for dinner. Walked in without any reservations. Risotto was 19 Euros for a plate, minimum of 2 orders. We had the antipasti platter, risotto and mixed grill. Comes up to EUR96, not including wine. Is it worth it? I would say I was a little underwhelmed. Perhaps my expectations was too high. Not to mention that we had to rush to finish our meal to catch the 2130h vaporatto back to Venice itself.