We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
442 posts
419 reviews
Save Topic
What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

Saw a post like this in the Florence Forum (which copied from a Paris Forum!) & loved the responses it got.

So here goes -- I'm going to be in Venice for three nights in a month (May 14-May 17) as the start of three weeks in Italy.

I have been building my list of things to do -- easy to be overwhelmed! In retrospect -- what are you soooo glad you did or conversely wish you'd avoided?

I'm thinking the Venice Connected 72 hour pass is pretty good -- includes one-way transportation from Marco Polo, access to the Public Transportation system, and a bunch of museums all for 37.50E or about USD/CDN$50 per person.

Beyond that (and yes, STILL trying to nail-down the place to stay...it's down to a small place on the lagoon for about $400 or a big place in Murano for about the same.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

I wish I hadn't assumed that I could just go to Murano and find glass blowers at work. We never saw craftsman and we spent so long asking and looking, that there was no time left to go on to Burano.

Also wish I hadn't puchased the St Mark's Square museums card. The Doge's Palace was included with the Secret Itineraries tour and the other San Marco musums were of less interest.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,645 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

This has already has been a thread quite recently,

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

if you are only staying 3 nights I would stay in Venice...not on Murano...

Wibaux, Montana
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

I was happy that I stayed in Venice itself. First we booked a hotel in Mestre but then after reading advice we changed to a small intimate hotel in Venice and it was the BEST decision. The best part of Venice is really just wandering around the town. Venice after dark is sublime. I wish we had gone back to ST Marc's square after dark and just sat (even though it is touristy). I wish someone had told me that I absolutely MUSTt attend a concert there...We both loved Venice and our fantasy is now to retire there even tough it is expensive...

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,661 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

Beware that I don't believe the transport pass you cite includes any museums. Currently on the VeniceConnected site for that period the "72 hour Tourist travel card ACTV+ Airport transfer bus one way" is listed at €34.35, reduced from the full price of €36.

The cheapest museum pass is the "Museums of St. Mark's Square - afternoon reduced Students Under 25 - Over 65" (which, from your profile information, isn't applicable to you) is €6.50.

There are no longer any combined transport/museum entrance passes, as there used to be until a couple years ago (the "VeniceCard" used to be one such combined pass, but now is only a museum/church pass, with more offerings than the cultural pass available through VeniceConnected).

With just three days in Venice, particularly in May, I don't know how many museums you are going to want to stay inside and visit, as it is really quite a short time in the end.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,645 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

The recent post on the same lines

tripadvisor.co.uk/…39822849

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,448 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

I wish someone had told me that four days wasn't enough and that I would want to go back.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

Precisely brittaveller! But how many people every day on this forum want to "do" Venice in 2 days. You can hardly get your bearings in that time.Hope you'll come back very soon.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
442 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

Folks, I get that three days isn't very much to do Venice well - but accommodations & restaurants in Venice seem to cost twice what they are everywhere else -- and I just can't justify the expense for more than three nights out of our 20 days actually in Italy (not counting the day travel to or the day travel back).

Having read these posts (and I'll check out the similar post link provided, thanks, Sophie!) I think I'll stay in a modest place on the island rather than a nicer place elsewhere, get the 72 hour transit pass, book a concert & pick just two museums to visit!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,448 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

My other surprise about Venice was that everyone told us it was very expensive and it was less expensive than we had anticipated. Perhaps because we live in London so the bar is set quite high .€5 for a spritz , with a complimentary nibble and a view of a stunning sunset didn't seem all that expensive to me.

Two people each having a three course meal, plus bread, comp prosecco & limoncello/ grappa, coffee for one and a decentish bottle of local wine came to about 95 euros at Ai Barbicani.