We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
442 posts
417 reviews
Save Topic
What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

Saw a post like this in the Florence Forum (which copied from a Paris Forum!) & loved the responses it got.

So here goes -- I'm going to be in Venice for three nights in a month (May 14-May 17) as the start of three weeks in Italy.

I have been building my list of things to do -- easy to be overwhelmed! In retrospect -- what are you soooo glad you did or conversely wish you'd avoided?

I'm thinking the Venice Connected 72 hour pass is pretty good -- includes one-way transportation from Marco Polo, access to the Public Transportation system, and a bunch of museums all for 37.50E or about USD/CDN$50 per person.

Beyond that (and yes, STILL trying to nail-down the place to stay...it's down to a small place on the lagoon for about $400 or a big place in Murano for about the same.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

As mentioned, Venice is a great place to be at night. Past midnight it's almost deserted, even the normally busy spots like San Marco and Rialto and everything. If you plan to take photos, it's a good time to do it as you get the places all to yourself and can take your time setting up without obstructing anyone's path.

Now let's take it one step further. If you roam around the city at night, when do you catch the Z's? The correct answer is in the middle of the day, say after lunch. It's not something I've really encountered at home (Canada), but in Italy it seems taking a siesta is a sensible way to go. The sun is high, the crowds are at their peak - just go back and nap for a few hours. Your feet will thank you, your sanity will thank you, it's a win all around. This is also why it's good to stay near the heart of the city (Venice or any other), so you don't waste much time traveling back and forth throughout the day.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

We visited at least 8 churches in Venice and none of those charged admission. The only place we had to pay was for the synagogue tour.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

Lynn's list is excellent!

I wish someone had told me how enchanted I'd be by la Serenissima. There really is no where else like it...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,288 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

Nevertheless lighthouse many churches in Venice do charge to enter. It helps pay for the upkeep. And one shouldn't miss the Frari.

San Angelo Raffael seems to be open in the morning and you might still have to be lucky. It is a bit out of the way. There was no charge but the sacristan was so nice to us that we put a donation in the box.

And those people off the ship were 12,000/day, not 1200.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
442 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

Thanks - great suggestions! Love the links!

We've taken a truly charming apartment via AirBnB just west of the Rialto bridge near a vaparetto stop. The owner has recommended getting things at the market for breakfast or the neighborhood cafes...happy to be out of the most touristy area for our place to sleep!

I've decided that a folding map and a red marker are "musts" to remember spots we want to get back to.

Hadn't thought to take a tripod but now that I've read that post -- will do!

And I love the idea of a mid-morning siesta to avoid crowds, and have energy for late night roaming!!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

I wish someone had told me how easy it would be to relax in Venice.

I wish someone had told me that the Prosecco tastes so much better in Venice than anywhere else in the world.

I wish someone had told me how crowded St Mark's Basilica would be when the mosaics were lit (maybe someone did and I didn't listen) next time I'll go as soon as it's opened to to get a feel for the church without so so so many other people in such close proximity.

Perhaps points one and two above are linked in some way...

Just reading Donna Leon's latest Brunetti offering, Beastly Things... ah, the memories!

Edited: 14 April 2012, 20:01
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

for churches, you might (10€ or 9€ online) which gives free admission (usually 3€) to the 16 churches in the scheme, many of which have some fabulous works of art as well as being beautful buildings included : Santa Maria del Giglio ; Santa Maria dei Miracoli ; San Polo ; Madonna dell'Orto ; Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari (although all the others are worth a visit as well, time permitting)

This is the site for the pass and which Churches you can visit,

http://www.chorusvenezia.org/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

and try a traghetto ride for 1E but remember its standing up across the canal.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,068 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

You can sit in a traghetto; you do not have to stand if you get to one of the seats before they fill up.

California
Level Contributor
230 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: What do you wish someone had told you about Venice?

We have stayed twice at a B&B/apartment, the Gli Angeli and loved it. They have a one-bedroom apartment or a two-bedroom apartment that are very nice and clean, wonderful people, near the Arsenale district, which is only a 10 minute walk to San Marco square. You WANT to stay in Venice rather than in the outer islands just so you can walk all day, come back and rest, and walk again at night--you will have Venice all to yourself at night and early morning--truly wonderful! Just walk and get lost in all the alleyways and canal bridges.