We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Marco Polo airport to Venice by local train?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
From Marco Polo airport to Venice by local train?

When DH and I were in Venice 4 years ago we got off the night train from Paris at the main station at the end of the line and what a sight, to walk down the stairs with the Grand Canal at your feet! My adult daughter and I are flying into Marco Polo and I want her to have the same experience. Is it possible to get a bus to Mestre Station and from there take the train to the end of the line in Venice? Please advise how this could be done. Thank you.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice by local train?

Take a bus to Mestre Train Station from Marco Polo, then buy a ticket to Santa Lucia Train Station. Get on board, and you'll be in Venice in 10 minutes.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice by local train?

Yes of course. Just as you say. There are trains every few minutes from Mestre to Venezia Santa Lucia. Make sure it is a local train. I think it costs about 1.20 euro.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 18:04
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice by local train?

YOu could always water taxi into Venice - another unforgettable experience

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice by local train?

Buy the train ticket at the newsstand inside Mestre station. Don't wait in line at the station ticket office. And remember to validate them in the yellow machines before boarding.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 18:36
Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice by local train?

If you are flying from the states you are adding quite a bit of time to your travels...and IMO (with out taking the taxi that Rosa recommended) you can get the same affect by taking the bus to Pi. de Roma and waling down to catch the vaporetto on the same grand canal...but that is just my opinion...although the most expensive, the taxi is the most dramatic..IMO

UK
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice by local train?

Oh, no, veniceJ! The water taxi is definitely NOT the most dramatic way to enter Venice. In my opinion, of course. I've never entered Venice by water taxi, so how can I say that? Well, I can imagine it - first a smudge on the horizon, then Venice gradually gets bigger and clearer, and, eventually you're there - in Venice. But when, exactly does that happen? Where do you cross that line between not being in Venice and being in Venice? I can't imagine anything less 'dramatic'. Mimiccr has it right - the most dramatic way to enter Venice is when you walk through the doors of Santa Lucia railway station and THERE is Venice! The church of San Simeone e Giude, now thankfully free of scaffolding, is in front of you, and the traffic on the Grand Canal is moving to and fro as if it's the most ordinary place on earth. There was a beautiful post quite a while ago that described the feeling so much better than I can - it brought a lump to my throat. I'm sorry I have no idea how to find it again.

Edited: 14 April 2012, 10:58
Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice by local train?

Fully agree with veniceloverUK. Getting off a bus in a busy bus station and walking down to that rather unattractive stretch of the Grand Canal at Piazzale Roma is just not the same thing. Arriving and seeing Venice for the first time from Santa Lucia is part of the romance. No romance in the bus station.

Edited: 14 April 2012, 11:04
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice by local train?

Arriving by Water Taxi to San Marco I think is by far the most striking way, ,but even a Water Taxi arriving via other parts of Venice has not the same impact, ,

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice by local train?

well everyone...that is so wonderful about TA it is about opinions....not the gospel...so I guess unless you have walked in my shoes it woud be very hard to say something is definitely NOT...when it is just my opinion.....and for the record...I have entered by bus, train, taxi and alilaguna......

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,469 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice by local train?

My preferred choice, whenever arriving at Marco Polo, is to hire a private water taxi from the Consorzio Motoscafi Venezia desk in the Arrivals Hall. Part of the pleasure of arriving in Venice is the ride across the lagoon with the city looming ever nearer. If the pilot is obliging then a slow ride down the Grand Canal is an added pleasure but can always be undertaken later on the No 1 or No 2 water buses for a mere 6.50 euros - much cheaper than a private water taxi.