We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Venice via Delta and return via Rome to JFK.

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
belleville, illinois
Level Contributor
114 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
JFK to Venice via Delta and return via Rome to JFK.

We booked a trip via Gate 1, independent travel but pre-arranged flight and rail tickets. It seemed the cheapest at the time. But I did not realize that the Al-Italia flight was actually Delta. Not doing homework well. We travel about once a year internationally but it has been on non American based carriers for the last 12 years or so and pretty good as far as amenities. In that same time frame, our domestic experiences have been on a downward spiral. So I have a vision of being thrown a bag of stale pretzels and a glass of water half way through the flight and forget about a blanket. Since we are traveling with a 12 year old, and the flights are a done deal want to plan ahead. Don't expect to be pampered in coach, but do not want to land starving and exhausted.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Venice via Delta and return via Rome to JFK.

I am not sure what your question is...as far as amenities....you should call the airline you are actually flying and ask them....

belleville, illinois
Level Contributor
114 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Venice via Delta and return via Rome to JFK.

Sorry I did not make myself clear. Thanks anyway.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Venice via Delta and return via Rome to JFK.

You are being clear in your statement...I just could not see what the question was/is...

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Venice via Delta and return via Rome to JFK.

We traveled JFK to VCE and back (coach) last fall on Delta. No problem, blanket/pillow and meals. We opted to get the low sodium meals, and were the first served for the dinner & breakfast. (special request meals are served first) Certainly not "business class" comforts and perks, but agreeable. We knew ahead of time (via the inflight services link at Delta) what movies were being shown. Drinks, sodas, coffee tea & water were plentiful.

In contrast, a few years ago we had a dreadful experience with Delta's "code-share partner" Alitalia.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
699 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Venice via Delta and return via Rome to JFK.

Delta international flights are totally different than Delta domestic. Living in Minnesota we usually have to start Europe trips on Delta to Paris, Amsterdam or London. In coach to Europe you will get a hot dinner, free beer and wine, and a light breakfast. Service will be probably be better because they have more time, although coach seats are still somewhat cramped.

Enjoy

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Venice via Delta and return via Rome to JFK.

I also flew Delta to Venice in 2010 and as my dear friend from Wyoming (Hi, Silkie) said international on Delta is totally different. I flew non stop Seattle to Amsterdam...then Alitalia to Venice. No problems. And enough food. My only problem was the time I was traveling was spring break (not on purpose, believe me) and the noise of the excited plane full of students going to Amsterdam made sleep all but impossible. But again...food was no problem.

I flew back Rome via JFK to Seattle...got nothing but half a can of soda on the domestic portion...not even anything for sale because it was a 10pm flight they figured we wouldn't want to eat. And they were very, very rude. And the flight was also full of college students. Delta staff were charming on the international portion though.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Venice via Delta and return via Rome to JFK.

We had meals and blankets on our Delta flights to and from Venice.

Check on the type of aircraft too. I was surprised that we didn't have individual TV screens at each seat. Instead it was the overhead screen above the aisle. On a long haul flight it's much nicer to have your own screen and controls for the movies or to watch the live map of your route.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to Venice via Delta and return via Rome to JFK.

My flight did have those individual screens but it was the long haul from Seattle to Amsterdam. And I came back from Rome the same way...through JFK that time.. So it would indeed depend on the plane's configuration.

belleville, illinois
Level Contributor
114 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK to Venice via Delta and return via Rome to JFK.

Thanks to everyone. Alleviated my concerns. With loaded devices, I'm not too worried about entertainment (although those individual screens are nice) but about at least minimal comforts enroute. Coming out of St. Louis, we usually end up on Continental, United or (as an absolutely last resort) American. And as everyone has said, service domestically is null. But I think the grand- daughter and I will survive.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
387 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK to Venice via Delta and return via Rome to JFK.

I think it comes down to personal experiences, and mine don't necessarily jibe with some of the responses here.

First off, I think the best airlines I have flown include Lufthansa and Aer Lingus.

I thought I liked British Airways when I flew them from London to Edinburgh a couple of years ago, but having flown them recently from LAX to London to Rome, I wasn't impressed. Didn't find the service all that great, and pre-purchased seats in the bulkhead for my 6'4 legs but got bumped out of them on both legs between LA and London. Now it's up to me to get reimbursed for those seats I didn't get, but paid for. (And for the record, I knew it was possible to get bumped, but still it's a hassle....and to have had it happen twice.)

Likewise, I've flown Delta internationally to Tel Aviv and Rio and to say I wasn't impressed at all would be an understatement. Flew them to Israel, and wasn't impressed. Thought I'd give them another try to Rio....and still wasn't impressed. Not even remotely.

Conversely, I've had better luck with American internationally.

Now is AA far and away better? No. I think US carriers are largely the same.

But comparing AA to Delta, I'd go AA before I'd go Delta again.

My experience.