We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating out

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
eating out

What advice is there on eating out in Venice?? I have heard that you have to be aware of different prices for different areas Ie bar outside. Thank you for your help.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating out

There are a great many bars/cafes/pizzerie where you can get a good lunch or snack at a reasonable price. Breakfast will probably be included in your hotel fee. For dinners, you run a risk of spending too much or getting bad food and service if you just walk into some place full of tourists. We usually, at least one night in Venice, go to an alimentara (small grocery) and buy some bread/fruit/cheese/wine and have a private picnic in the room,. or wherever seems comfortable.

if you go into a bar or cafe, you will pay about double if you sit down. Which is occasionally worth it.

if you let us know where you are staying, then you will get a lot of more specific information to help.

Eating in Venice may be terribly expensive and disappointing, but with a little foresight, it does not have to be. We have only been greatly disappointed twice.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating out

I’m not certain if prices for meals vary with where you sit - inside or outside – because we have never sat outside. We have only visited Venice in Winter, but we will change that next Spring.

There are two, or possibly three prices in bars for drinks and coffees.

Standing at the bar – cheapest.

At a table inside – about twice the standing at the bar price, or maybe a little less.

At a table outside – even more expensive – three or four times the bar price, because you are paying the rent for the table.

I saw once this really bad advice in a guide book of all places – order your coffee at the bar, pay, then take it to a table. Return your cup to the bar, and you will get the cheapest price. Frowns and possible abuse – gratis!

Bars post their prices, showing the “Al banco” and “Al tavolo” prices, but the posters can be hard to spot.

There are some bars where you pay the cashier first, get a ticket and take it to the bar. The bar at Venice SL station and the American bar in the Piazza are examples, and there are more.

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: eating out

Yes, never, ever order a drink at the bar and take it to a table! Fireworks will ensue. You can grab a coffee and a pastry and eat it standing up, buy a slice of pizza on the run or sit down for a meal at a good local place. Anywhere you can hear Italian being spoken should be fine. Avoid restaurants with menus's that come in several languages!

You could also drop into a Bacari which is a very authentic Venetian experience. They are usually crowded but you can nibble at all sorts of local delicacies at the counter for an honest price. They have tables but those in the know stay on their feet.The wine is pretty good too. They tend to close around 8.30 in the evening so are a great spot for an early meal in a humming environment. You can find them all over, just look for a place that has a pack of people looming at the counter and a few confused looking tourists sitting down!

Campo Santa Margharita is a great spot for dining. Lots of young people and students eat here and there is a buzzy atmosphere. Lunch or dinner it doesn't make a difference, you will be able to find something to fit your budget that won't leave you feeling ripped off.

Otherwise a visit to a supermarket or alimentari will enable you to pick up some low cost goodies to enjoy. A hidden location to enjoy a quiet self catered lunch is the Rio Terra dei Catecumeni near the bridge of Santa Maria della Salute. It is a spacious square that fronts the Giudecca canal. Take a seat and watch the waves break in relative peace.

Happy eating

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

Edited: 18 April 2012, 03:03
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating out

Prices do vary , more expensive in the Sam Marco area, , otherwise the price is more the establishment than the area, but most Restaurants do display Menus outside in English, and priced,

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
493 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating out

Can you suggest some good places to eat near santa Croce area (staying at the Carlton Capri). We are vegetarians hence our meals would exclude meat,fish and eggs.

Windsor, CT
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eating out

I've recommended to all my friends who have traveled to Venice, Osteria Moceniga it's located in Santa Croce 1919.

It's right down the road from the Stae station.

When I was in Venice in 2007, we ate there twice because it's so goog. I'll be returning in June this year and you can be sure I'll be eating there again!

Enjoy!

Edited: 18 April 2012, 13:52
Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eating out

google vegan eating in Venice and see what you come up with...also almost all restaurants serve pasta you can ask them to ony use vegetables for them...the problem might be as to what the broth is for the sauce...you might also try the Ghetto as some of the restaurants there adhere to a vegetarian diet...always ask..In all the times I have been there I never knew if there was a strictly Vegetarian restaurant, but to be honest I was never looking....you might also ask at your hotel...

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eating out

We have booked to stay on the lido. With the idea of travelling in and out of Venice.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eating out

We have booked to stay on the lido. With the idea of travelling in and out of Venice.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
5,497 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eating out

We tried sliced pizza at a few spots around Venice during a recent trip. The best we found was Becca Pizza, near Campo San Luca.

Here is the review (w/pictures) if interested.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187870-d254…