We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report with Pictures

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report with Pictures

I took a fast train from Roma and arrived at midday

I stayed in The Canal Grande hotel, just a few metres from St.Luzia Station, so I had not problems with my luggage.a lovely hotel just by the grand canal and only 40 meters from the first stop of the vaporetto going to San Marco. Before going to the hotel I collected my 3-day pass, which I think is a real good investment to move around Venice

After having lunch in a restaurant close to the hotel took the vaporetto for my first experience of Venice. I had been here, but it had been 20 years ago and only during a day, so it could be said that this was my first experience here.

The ride to San Marco along the Canal grande is just amazing and something has to be done at leaast once. Such lovely palazzos and beautiful buildings were build in this canal.

Venice was crowded but not as much as Roma. I imagine in high season it has to be different.

From San Marco decied to go to Rialto and this was the first time I "lost" myself along those narrow streets and little canal. The experience was amazing. Totally recomended

That night decided to have diner not far from San Marco (I know it´s the most touristy part of the city and prices are higher) One think to take into account is that many estaurants charge Tax Service of 12% on the bill total, some other not but I imagine they are charged on the menu price.

Experience the Piazza San Marco after dinner, with very little people there is just priceless. Took the vaporetto back to my hotel around 10 pm.

Next day decided to explore to St.Croce and and San Polo sestieri. This city is really fabulous for pictures. You find a place to take a picture every few meters. I ended up with more than 800 shots in Venice in y three days there

Took a visit of the Palazzo Ducale, visited the Basilica and took the lift to the top of the Campanile. The view from up there is really amazing

In the aftenoon took the vaporetto and went to the Murano Island.Enjoyed my short visit there and did some shopping in the many glass shops that can be found in the island.

The sunset on the way to San Marcos was impressive

That evening I decided to try the area of Rialto for dinner and found a little restaurant close to the bridge where the good was really good and not too expensive (Sorry dind´t remember the name)

Next day was the day to go to Torcello and Burano. I explored the Canareggio sestiere before taking the vaporetto to the island

I loved this place with its little canals and colores houses. Ha dinner in the main street. Trattoria Primo e Paolo and the food was really good.

After returning to the city went to the Accademia bridge and to the Church of La Salute, a very nice place to walk for a while.

The next morning had to take a train to Firenze at mid morning so it could be said that this was my last evening in this wonderful city

Here are some pictures of my visit to Venice:

http://www.pbase.com/joseantonio/italia

The first two pages are the pictures from Venice. Click on any picture to enlarge it and look at the information of the place.

If you see any incorrect information PLEASE FEEL FREE to let me know

Jose

Calgary
Level Contributor
719 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report with Pictures

Beautiful, beautiful pictures with wonderful descriptions. Thank you for posting Jose.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,850 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report with Pictures

A interesting report,. could you post it on Yvonnes Reviews Past ,Present and future ,at the start of the Venice forum

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report with Pictures

Lovely trip report, I'm glad you loved Venice! Your photos are beautiful too!Thank you

Edited: 18 April 2012, 08:16
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,113 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report with Pictures

Lovely photos and how nice to see the Bridge of Sighs all cleaned up and without that dreadful advertising around it

nickbooth.id.au/Europe09/…bridge_of_sighs.jpg

ohio
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report with Pictures

Beautiful of Venice and Rome, thank you.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,347 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report with Pictures

Great photos of both Venice and Rome.

Thanks for the beautifully illustrated trip report.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report with Pictures

Beautiful photos!!

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report with Pictures

Thank you all of your for your nice comments

I must say that the weather was fantastic: three sunny and beautiful days (In fact all my stay in Italy was nice, only one day of rain and it was during the night on the third day in Roma and the next morning as I was on the train to Venice)

Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report with Pictures

Very interesting report, thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures. I'm going to Venice with my tripod and camera for 3 days in June. Any tips?

And also, could you please explain more about this :

that many restaurants charge Tax Service of 12% on the bill total, some other not but I imagine they are charged on the menu price.

Is it clearly written or you have to ask this detail? How much is the tip?

Thank you,

Dora

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report with Pictures

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing!! Going in September, can't wait!