We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day itinerary + some questions

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
4 day itinerary + some questions

I will be going to Venice later this month during my 3 week trip to Italy and France.

I want to buy the 72 hours ACTV pass, but I will be in Venice for almost four full days and I want to be able to take the Vaporetto's anytime throughout my trip. Would you guys suggest buying a 72 hour pass and a 24 hour pass? OR how would you change the itinerary around taking into account my time considerations and the opening/close times of each place so that on the first day I only have to take the Vaporetto to the B&B we're staying at? I could possibly, also just swap day 3 and day 4, and not take the Vaporetto on the last day, as we are very close to Piazza San Marco. We have already booked our Alilaguna tickets to get back to the airport on Wednesday morning.

Here is my tentative itinerary. Let me know what you think or if I should change anything / add something.

Day 1 - Arrival at 12 pm (Saturday):

San Giorgio Maggiore (free; tower to top 5 euros / person) [10:00 am to 12:30 pm; 2:15 pm to 5:30 pm]

Wander around / get lost in Venice

Take Vaporetto on the Grand Canal in the evening

Day 2 (Sunday):

Santa Maria del Salute Church (free) [9:00 am to 12:00 pm; 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm]

Gallerie dell’Accademia (6,50 euros / person) [Mon 8:15 am to 2:00 pm, Tue-Sun 8:15 am to 7:15 pm]

Ca' Rezzonico [closed Tue; 10 am to 6 pm, otherwise]

Scuola Grande di San Rocco (5 euros / person) [9:00 am to 5:30 pm]

Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari (3 euros / person) [Mon-Sat 9am-6pm; Sun 1-6pm]

Rialto Bridge

Day 3 (Monday):

Piazza San Marco (free)

Basilica di San Marco (free; Museo marciano 4 euros / person; Treasury 3 euros / person) [Mon-Sat 9:45 am - 5:00 pm; Sun 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm]

Campanile di San Marco (8 euros / person) [9:00 am - 5:00 pm]

Doge's Palace [9:00 am - 5:15 pm]

Museo Correr [10 am - 7:00 pm]

Day 4 (Tuesday):

Murano

Burano

Torcello

Wander around / get lost in Venice

Let me know what you guys think. I would really appreciate it.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
France
France
Europe
Vaporetto
Vaporetto
4,917 Reviews
Venice, Italy
San Giorgio Maggiore
San Giorgio Maggiore
3,356 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Gallerie dell'Accademia
Gallerie dell'Accademia
1,626 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Ca' Rezzonico
Ca' Rezzonico
1,565 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
2,358 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Basilica di San Marco
Basilica di San Marco
23,865 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Campanile di San Marco
Campanile di San Marco
7,806 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace
21,617 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Museo Correr
Museo Correr
1,469 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day itinerary + some questions

EDIT (the time limit expired): I was also considering purchasing the museum pass on veniceconnected.com for all the civic museums and we would use the pass for Doge's palace, Museo Correr, Ca' Rezzonico, and potentially other museums we decide we feel like visiting when we're there. For us, because we're both students under 25, the pass is only 12 euros each and we feel like that is a good price for the museums we will be visiting.

Mentioned in this post
Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace
21,617 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Museo Correr
Museo Correr
1,469 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Ca' Rezzonico
Ca' Rezzonico
1,565 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day itinerary + some questions

Sorry, one more question. Is it possible to a ticket for Museo Correr separately when we're there? Online it seems like we can only buy the combined museum pass. I am thinking about booking the Secret Itineraries Tour at Doge's Palace, and seeing as how that includes admission to the actual museum I am questioning the value of the museum pass. It does, however, allow us to skip lines. What are your thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Museo Correr
Museo Correr
1,469 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace
21,617 Reviews
Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,724 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day itinerary + some questions

The Secret Itineraries Ticket allow you too also visit the Doges Palace thats all,.

Mentioned in this post
Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace
21,617 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day itinerary + some questions

Wow, you are certainly planning a busy few days.

Do you have to keep rigidly to a schedule or are you happy to have some flexibility in what you do? For example, churches are obviously better visited when there is not a service in progress (unless you want to take part). Many of the artworks are difficult or even impossible to see properly during a service. A good tip actually is to visit churches in the hottest part of the day because they're always cool inside.

Keep in mind that it is a very busy time of year in Venice and there will probably be enormously long queues for San Marco Basilica and a long wait to get in - gone are the days when you could just stroll in when you pleased. It might be an idea to make it your first stop on one day and get there early. Visiting the Doge's Palace will also involve a queue unless you already have a ticket but it is a Don't Miss - I go there every time I'm in Venice and still find it fascinating. There will probably be long queues for the Campanile too - personally I would give it a miss, but that's just my opinion.

If it was my trip, I would spend Tuesday morning exploring the Rialto, the markets including the fish market and the lovely San Polo district, then perhaps walk through to Dorsoduro - you could visit San Rocco and the Frari en route. The islands, particularly Burano, are worth a visit but I wouldn't devote a whole day to them, especially if it was my first trip to Venice, and with limited time available i probably wouldn't bother to go as far as Torcello. Wandering and getting lost in Venetian streets offers a better use of time (my opinion), as does stopping at the occasional wine bar (plenty in San Polo) for a glass of wine and cichetti (little finger-food snacks, just choose them at the bar). It's a good way to get the feel of the place in a relaxed way.

Keep an eye open for posters in the city advertising exhibitions/concerts that may be on during your stay - quite often this is the only way you'll find out about them.

Enjoy your visit and I hope it inspires you to go again - at least a week for your second time!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace
21,617 Reviews
Venice, Italy
San Polo
San Polo
176 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Dorsoduro
Dorsoduro
2,065 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day itinerary + some questions

Your schedule doesn't look busy too me as post #4 said.

Different people move at different paces and have different interests and travel styles. I get a lot done in a short amount of time. It's really easy to do St. Marks & the doge's palace and the campanile all together (maybe you can break for lunch in between). And i'd recommend that... that way you can get out of the tourist trap area all together and avoid it the rest of your trip after you've been in the square.

We felt 4 days in venice was too much - but everyone is different and moves at different paces. I'm in my 20's and like to keep moving but there are a lot of others who can spend a week there and never get bored. To each their own :-)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,368 posts
6,201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day itinerary + some questions

Might want to add Santi Giovanni e Paolo to your list.... ;-)

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187870-d243…

Have a great trip to Venice, lots of great stuff to see.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
7. Re: 4 day itinerary + some questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 13:41