We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The custom of the Bacaro

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
The custom of the Bacaro

I was wondering can two older ladies front up to the bar of a bacaro and stand and enjoy a glass of ombra and some cicheti to fill in time while we are lost in beautiful Venice

OR is this a no no and usually for men only

Turin
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: The custom of the Bacaro

Are you serious?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,226 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The custom of the Bacaro

Goodness no, there is no discrimination, business is business,

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The custom of the Bacaro

I had to laugh....are you serious....and business is business...thought I set a bee amongst the thorns! Well I come from the old school where we had to chain ourselves to the bar for equal rights!!! Ha! But being in another country don't want to upset the apple cart ...so to speak...or is it the grape cart!

Niec

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The custom of the Bacaro

So I guess you figured out that there would be no problem withwhat you are suggesting....:)

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The custom of the Bacaro

As said none whatsoever , go and enjoy !!!!!

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The custom of the Bacaro

> is this a no no and usually for men only ...

That's interesting how things can be different depending on the places. Is it like that in Brisbane? I would be happy to chat with you at a Venitian bar with a glass of local wine.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The custom of the Bacaro

"I had to laugh..."

Absolutely no problems as long as you remain standing...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The custom of the Bacaro

Of course not, but I have seen photos of the Bacaro and a few U tubes and seemed to be all men in them. Is there not a sitting area and some do have small meals as well? Just wondering but really only want to try the ombra and cicheti in Venice in a Bacaro.

Of course some of the women are much more independent in Australia but you never know the customs in other countries or places.

Hope to remain standing ...have a lot of bridges to cross.Ha!

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The custom of the Bacaro

Some do have perching or leaning posts if the ombre get too much. Some do have small seating areas and you can have a small meal however they fill up quickly.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The custom of the Bacaro

Many places, particularly near Rialto, tend to straddle the line between "bacaro" and "osteria" serving cichetti and "ombre" at the "banco" and full meals at the tables, which could even include a selection of cichetti. Some have only standing room, sometimes with small counters to rest your plates and glasses; a few have some seating for no extra charge; others, when you sit, you are served, and the price list is different (more expensive) as is the practice in all of Italy.