We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are foreigners allowed to marry in Catholic churches Venice?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton
Level Contributor
173 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Are foreigners allowed to marry in Catholic churches Venice?

Hello all.

I recently got engaged and would love to get married in a Catholic church in Venice (as we are both Catholic). However, I have read on a couple of websites that foreigners are no longer allowed to marry in Venice, that they can only have a blessing. Does anyone know if this is true?

Strangely, a few companies have quoted me nonetheless and just for a 45 minute ceremony for 2 of us including paperwork I have been given quotes starting from £1750, which is more than I had budgeted! Can anyone recommend a cheaper way of doing it?

I hope someone can help :)

Thanks.

Christina

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are foreigners allowed to marry in Catholic churches Venice?

I suggest you enquire from your family priest to see if he has any contacts in Venice or knows who to contact in the Catholic heirarchy there.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are foreigners allowed to marry in Catholic churches Venice?

In the US to get married in a catholic church, at least one of you has to attend marriage classes or consuling sessions for weeks in advance of the wedding in the church/parish where you want to get marrried. Immediatley before I got married my husband was attending college in a different city that where I was living and he attended the classes in the parish we got married in and I attended classes where I was living at the time.

there might be similar contraints in Italy

Edited: 08 May 2012, 15:05
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are foreigners allowed to marry in Catholic churches Venice?

Good point yes there are pre wedding classes and they are oligatory.

Brighton
Level Contributor
173 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are foreigners allowed to marry in Catholic churches Venice?

I know about the pre-wedding classes, but I believe these can be done in the UK.

I've been contacted by a wedding organiser who insists it is possible for foreigners to wed in Venice in a Catholic ceremony, which is good news!

But has anyone tried to arrange this themselves (or found an English-speaking priest in Venice) or been quoted a lot less?

Robert-J, I shall definitely be speaking to my local priest to see if he has any contacts out there!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,127 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are foreigners allowed to marry in Catholic churches Venice?

A "lot less" than what amount? Hard for people to say unless you mention an amount.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are foreigners allowed to marry in Catholic churches Venice?

MomCat .. christina has been quoted 1750 pounds

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are foreigners allowed to marry in Catholic churches Venice?

A lot of parishes, and even a lot of dioceses, feel strongly that people should marry in the home parish of one of the couple. Our diocese is really a bit strict about this.

Your best bet might be to find an English priest who'd like to spend a few days in Venice, and then find a church that would let him use it for the wedding mass. Priests who are traveling routinely ask the use of a church for saying mass, as they're supposed to say mass every day. I'm no expert in ecclesiastical law, but it seems to me that would be the least complicated way to do it. Do you have a good friend or relative who's a priest?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,651 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are foreigners allowed to marry in Catholic churches Venice?

It's perfectly possible, or there wouldn't be so many wedding planners doing this for "wedding tourists", e.g. http://www.weddingsitaly.com/htm/venice.htm - exclusiveitalyweddings.com/venice/venice-cat… - http://www.weddingsvenice.net/Churches.htm

However, this suggests you start by visiting your local parish priest anyway: serenissima-weddings.com/wedding_in_venice/r…

Brighton
Level Contributor
173 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are foreigners allowed to marry in Catholic churches Venice?

I have considered this too - taking my own priest, that is - and will ask him when I see him soon at my appointment.

In the UK they are also strict, but you can marry outside of the parish if you get written permission from your parish priest which is what I hope to do.

I don't want to give up on my dream yet - I love Venice so much and would love to have my special day there! I'm still confident it will all turn out for the best :-)

Treviso
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are foreigners allowed to marry in Catholic churches Venice?

Sure, it's possible. Visit the following website. They can help you :

www.venice-etc.com