We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Marks Basilica Query

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
497 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
St Marks Basilica Query

I am going to be two days in Venice i.e. Sunday and Monday.

Q - In your opinion what is a better time to visit the Basilica in terms of the crowd etc. - Sunday afternoon or Monday???

Q - Does the Clock Tower warrant a guided tour?

My wife wants to visit the islands of Murano and Burano but I am against it. Let's see how my two days shape up. Thanks

Regards,

Rishi

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,615 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Marks Basilica Query

I would go to the Basilica to the Monday probably earlier the better, Sunday is so busy and the are also services on a Sunday,

I would go along with you about the Islands too much of Venice to see on such a short visit,

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,341 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Marks Basilica Query

Not enough time to visit the islands. If she gets her way choose Burano!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
497 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Marks Basilica Query

Planned my visit to the Basilica on a Monday that too later in the afternoon as i have read that the crowds are much less by then. And the islands are out too.

Thanks glaciermeadows & sophie8.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Marks Basilica Query

re: clock tower. I totally enjoyed it, you get to see inside the clock and you can take great photos of San Marco. There are tours on Sunday

Edited: 13 May 2012, 15:06
New York, New York
Level Contributor
8,234 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Marks Basilica Query

It's a long ride out to either Murano or Burano, and with so few hours in Venice, I would try them another time.

But what you really ought to try to do is see the Doge's Palace. You can even go with a timed ticket. The "Secret Itinerary" tour is well worth the money and will give you a great, basic introduction to the history of Venice, its political system, the reason for its riches and fabulous power, as well as its downfall as a European power. You will see the prison cell where Casanova was kept and from which he escaped -- and have an opportunity to compare it to non-aristocrats' cells later, after the tour, when you can cross the Bridge of Sighs from the inside over to the cells of prisoners of lower classes. The majesty of the Palace is not to be missed. Definitely stop in here.

The Basilica will take an hour or less. You will be there anyway, so why not check out the seat of Venice's power and pomp?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
960 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Marks Basilica Query

A second vote for the clocktower tour. I'm not normally a tour person, but it was fascinating to see the workings up close and stand on the roof next to the Moors.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
497 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Marks Basilica Query

I have already booked the Clock Tower Tour at 10am and Secret Itineraries at 11:35 am. Will break for lunch after this and visit the basilica later in the afternoon when the crowds are less. Thanks for all your replies.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: St Marks Basilica Query

Do you know what time the basilica and Doge's palace closes during the day? we are coming to venice next week!

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Marks Basilica Query

from the official sites:

Basilica di San Marco: basilicasanmarco.it/WAI/…orari.bsm

Palazzo Ducale: …visitmuve.it/en/…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Marks Basilica Query

We were there a couple of weeks ago. We got into St Mark's Basilica on Sunday at 405pm (April 29th).

I had read somewhere that the ceiling mosaics are illuminated on Sunday afternoon and only one hour per day (around midday) on a weekday. On the basis of that we decided to visit on Sunday. The turned the ceiling spotlights off around 420pm - which means we got 15 mins of illuminated viewing. The lighting made a huge difference, as the gold mosaics were just spectacular when illuminated. Since you're at Doge's Palace on Monday around midday, you may want to visit St Mark's on Sunday afternoon between 2 and 415pm.

Make sure you prebook tickets - it's 1 Euro per person, and definitely worth it to avoid the long queue.