We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anybody flown Alitalia to Rome? What was your...

Naples Florida
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Has anybody flown Alitalia to Rome? What was your...

We are flying to Rome from Miami on Alitalia with a stop in Milan. Has anybody flown Alitalia? How was the service, flight, plane etc?

Thank you,

Michelle...Naples Florida

Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,564 reviews
from US$56.80*
Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
772 reviews
from US$175.60*
US$195.80
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,541 reviews
from US$75.80*
US$92.20
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
290 reviews
from US$82.10*
Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anybody flown Alitalia to Rome? What was your...

I used to like Alitalia but its gone seriously downhill in recent years. I flew Alitalia to Rome from Frankfurt last Thanksgiving and to Cairo via Milan last Christmas. The food was inedible and the "AL" in Al-italia stands for "always late." When I transited through Milan, I had to go through customs. As a non-EU citizen (I'm American), I had to go through the non-EU (all others) line. And I use line loosely as there wasn't one. It took me over an hour to get through and only got through so fast because I finally jumped over to the EU line and showed them my ticket which showed my connection was leaving in five minutes (they regularly turned back others trying the same thing, I lucked out they said ok). Of course, didn't matter since the connection was delayed two hours... Anyway, after my last two experiences, I'll never fly them again.

dublin,ireland
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anybody flown Alitalia to Rome? What was your...

We flew Alitalia from Toronto to Rome last September and the service wasnt great. The plane itself was fine but the staff werent very friendly. We flew from Dublin to Milan and onto Toronto and that flight was delayed but the staff didnt bother telling anyone. On the way home from Toronto to Rome we were delayed again for 3 hours and we were delayed for 4 hours from Rome to Dublin as they were waiting for staff to arrive.

I was feeling very sick on the way from Toronto to Rome and I got up to ask for some water and I was told to sit down, and that was it! They were not friendly at all! The food was ok. I wouldnt fly them again-we only flew them this time as they were very good value but then you pay for what you get

Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anybody flown Alitalia to Rome? What was your...

Poor service, old planes .. I wish I had taken another airline last summer from Toronto to Rome.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anybody flown Alitalia to Rome? What was your...

Since you already have your flights booked, just remember that the flight is just the means of getting you to and from Italy. We flew Alitalia last year this time to Rome from Newark. The plane going over was a piece of junk and the service was nonexistent. The plane on the way home was much newer and nicer, but the food was terrible. That said, nothing about those flights ruined the wonderful 3 weeks we spent in Italy.

Naples Florida
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anybody flown Alitalia to Rome? What was your...

Oh my god....I sure wish I had asked this question about Alitalia before I booked my trip! I guess I had this vision of an exotic way to start our trip. Maybe since my expectations won't be too high we won't be too dissatisfied!

My concern now is the wait going thru customs. We have only 50 minutes to get thru customs once we land in Milan.

Have others gone thru the EU line to get to their next connection?

Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anybody flown Alitalia to Rome? What was your...

Are both fligths on Alitalia and you are just changing planes? Or two different flights on Alitalia booked separately? Or two different airlines booked separately?

Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anybody flown Alitalia to Rome? What was your...

Of course, I was flying out of an EU country into a non-EU country when I went through customs. You'll be flying within Italy once you land. I think that is a different terminal which may make a difference.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,520 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anybody flown Alitalia to Rome? What was your...

Alitalia is just an airline like many others. Their planes may not be the newest around, but they are perfectly maintained, and have a perfect safety record (which is what counts -- the rest is crap).

As for standing in the non-EU line, you can't really blame the airline for not being a EU citizen, can you? In other words, regardless of the airline you fly on, when you enter the so-called SCHENGEN area you have to go through immigration. When you are in Schengen, however, there is no passport control anymore -- for anyone. Theoretically, you could fly say from Rome to Paris without a passport (you can't do that of course because the airline will want you to show one for security reasons, but that's the airline, not French immigration).

Naples Florida
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anybody flown Alitalia to Rome? What was your...

Hi, makes sense we need to go thru customs in Milan, and we do have on reservation on Alitalia all the way from Miami to Rome with a stop and change of planes in Milan. Hopefully, all will go smoothly for the 6 of us!

I do feel better knowing that Alitalia has a good safety record. That is truly the most important thing, but it would be nice if they are a little friendly and accomodating. I guess we Americans expect a little more than most??

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Michelle....Naples Florida

ymm
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
320 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anybody flown Alitalia to Rome? What was your...

Sorry to add more negative reviews to a flight already booked, but we flew last summer from DC-Dulles to Milan on Alitalia, and the planes are old, the service wasn't horrible, but just not as good as most others I've travelled in the past. But again, it's not that bad, just a little old. Use the restroom early in the flight because they didn't seem to be well-maintained later in the flight. Take along a good book and look forward to arriving in Rome - lovely city!