We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruising independently in the area around Venice

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
28 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
cruising independently in the area around Venice

We have cruised in France and England with boats we rented and drove ourselves through Le Boat. They offer the same sort of travel in Italy. I'm wondering if anyone has used Le Boat in Italy or cruised independently in the area of the Venice lagoon. We are experienced boaters and love the flexibility and comfort this type of travel offers. Any information is appreciated.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,418 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruising independently in the area around Venice

I will preface this by saying I am not a boater. There is only one thing I would consider. If you have never been to Venice, make sure you spend at least a couple of days exploring the city on foot. Also sailing the lagoons is one thing, but unless I was an experienced local I think I would stay out of the heart of Venice itself with a boat.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruising independently in the area around Venice

You can only cruise around the lagoon, it isn't permitted to bring a private boat into the city: veneziasi.it/en/…sailing-venice-lagoon.html

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cruising independently in the area around Venice

I think you would really need to know your way around. Much of the lagoon is very shallow, and it would be easy to get stuck on a mud bank.

There are lines of poles to indicate navigable channels, but you may need to know whether to pass to the port or starboard of the poles.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cruising independently in the area around Venice

Reply 2 links to a blog published by a hotel association. The blog purports to quote from certain regulations but the citation link provided by the hotel blog does not provide the the regulation or a cite to it. If I missed it then I apologize in advance.

If you choose not to rely on blogs you might try The Google. I searched The Google and there a few rental company's that seem to provide cruisers for the lagoon and or "going up river" into the Veneto. Like a mini mini Intercoastal. That sounds pretty cool and I suggest that you email them to see how it works. Moving a cruiser into Venice proper would by like driving a Winnebago into central Naples (yikes) and then trying to find a parking space. Even if it were legal the gondoliers would try to sink you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cruising independently in the area around Venice

It's an idea worth exploring, and I think that it may be more difficult than you might expect. Sure, Venice is all about water - and the canals are lined with boats.

If you are hyper-rich, then you can send your Master ashore to negotiate a mooring for your yacht alongside the Zattere. The locals will be impressed with the helicopter and the submersible, and will treat you like a film star - which you'd need to be to own such a vessel. Or maybe a Russian oligarch, oil sheik or Mafia don. OK, enough of the jokes, and let's assume that you are not any of the above.

I don't think that you can see central Venice, the historical centre, via your own boat. Mooring places are almost impossible, marine traffic is very active. But I do think you could have a fun, Arthur Ransome, kind of voyage exploring the lagoon.

To quote Morris, "At 45deg14' N, 12deg18'E, the navigator, sailing up the Adriatic coast of Italy, discovers an opening in the long low line of the shore: and turning westwards, with the race of the tide, he enters a lagoon. Instantly the boisterous sting of the sea is lost. The water around him is shallow ..." And then the absolute romance starts.

Venice only exists because of the lagoon, and it's worth exploring. Navigation will be tricky - don't think of having fathoms under the keel, it's more likely feet of water - or none, when you inevitably run aground. But exploring the lagoon, the places that are never explored by most visitors, could be really worthwhile. Maybe a mooring may be available at Mazzorbo ("Major Urbis" = "Big Town" in Latin), maybe the back blocks of Torcello, maybe the Brenta canal.

Research will be the key, and get the Admiralty or Italian chart for the lagoon, to see what it's likely to be like. And think Norfolk Broads in terms of water.

Good luck - and if you bring it off, do write here about your experiences.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
28 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cruising independently in the area around Venice

Thanks, we're not planning on cruising on the small canals- just the lagoon as a base and the rivers north and south. We thought it would be a perfect way to visit Venice from the water and not need a hotel. I'm a little concerned about traffic in the lagoon. I don't want to feel run over by much larger vessels. We are planning on taking water taxi to the city and walking around.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cruising independently in the area around Venice

I have seen Le boats in the lagoon moored at Le Vignole, and some other outer islands. I have never experienced it myself,.... Do come back and leave feedback if you do decide to do it ...

8. Re: cruising independently in the area around Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:16