We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

general tour of Doge Palace

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
159 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
general tour of Doge Palace

Has anyone toured the Doge by themselves (as in NOT the Secret Itinerary tour)? What did you see? I was thinking of buying the Afternoon pass from veniceconnected, that included other museums as well as I can get it for 6.50 eur. Any thoughts?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: general tour of Doge Palace

Actually, the Secret Itinerary tour only covers a very small portion of the Doges Palace (which is ironic since you cover the dungeons to the top part of the palace!) and in order to see the rest of the palace you need to do it on your own anyway. So you are seeing the majority of the palace. There is an audioguide available (I have not done that) but there are cards in every room that explains what you are seeing. The rooms are spectacular and well worth seeing. (Think of the SI tour as a "behind the scenes" tour that covers a portion of the palace that you wouldn't ordinarily see.)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,137 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: general tour of Doge Palace

Most good guide books do give you a good insight to touring the Doges Palace,

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
159 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: general tour of Doge Palace

Okay,thanks. So we can pretty much see all the rooms, gloden staircase, bridge of sigh, etc. on our own?? not really keen on the perks of the SI tour so this is great to know. Thanks!

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: general tour of Doge Palace

I was a little confused by the SI description, does the SI ticket cover entrance to the rest of the Doge Palace or do I have to buy a separate ticket for that?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,221 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: general tour of Doge Palace

The SI tour also allows entry to the rest of the Doges Palace that is open to the public.

Just to note, the ordinary visit to the Palace requires you to follow a set route through the rooms. At the entrance to each room is a box of large cards with explanations of the room. The cards are in several languages.

So you follow a set route, read the cards and in essence, do a self guided tour. It is well designed and there is lots of information, far more than I have seen in any guide book.

Make sure you put the cards back in a box near the exit door for each room you visit so they can be recycled.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
573 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: general tour of Doge Palace

Everyone I spoke to prior to going all recommended the SI tour, but we eventually decided against it, as didn't want to be locked into a set time with our kids (which was a smart move for us, we had to frantically rush to get to our Basilica timed tickets). We lined up in a very very long line, however it moved really quickly and we would have waited no more than 1/2hr to get in.

I loved the Doge's Palace and put it in my top 2 favourite things of Venice. We didn't have a guide, or use the cards and still loved it. I did expect a bit more of the bridge of sighs, don't know what I actually expected, but unless the sign was there, I wouldn't have realised it was the actual bridge and I thought it was better from the outside (didn't hear any sighs either - lol).

I didn't go down into the prisons areas, as I'm claustrophobic, but my mothers did and enjoyed it.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: general tour of Doge Palace

Thanks for the info!

8. Re: general tour of Doge Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 08:16