We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

picturesque city close to Venice

London, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
picturesque city close to Venice

Hi,

I am travelling with my wife next week to Venice. We are planning a day trip to cities near Venice. We can travel around 2 hrs each way(train or car hire).

Can you please advice us which city to visit preferably with the picturesque view. So far we have shortlisted Balzona but it doesn’t seem that appealing.

HELP!!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: picturesque city close to Venice

Consider Asolo or Bassano del Grappa (or both; they're close to each other).

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: picturesque city close to Venice

Treviso or Verona

Treviso I was particularly suprised by, its a lovely place and only half an hour away.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,234 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: picturesque city close to Venice

I was going to mention that Treviso is a nice little Town was quite impressed when we went there a few weeks ago,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,751 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: picturesque city close to Venice

I absolutely adore Treviso (lived there for several months many years ago) and it is very picturesque, easily reachable from Venice (35 minutes by train, 50 by bus), very easy to orient oneself, and about the only negative I can claim against it is that many of the stores still close too long at lunch time, but that just encourages me to eat a longer, more relaxed lunch, and gain extra weight... as there are also many wonderful restaurants.

Asolo is also beautiful, with the nearby Brion Tomb by Carlo Scarpa which merits a visit if you like either architecture in general or the works of Carlo Scarpa in particular.

I also like the historical center of Vicenza, which I find much more appealing, in terms of picturesque urban layouts, over other places such as Padova and Verona, which are much more spread out and a bit more "sprawling".

Edited: 20 May 2012, 20:50
United States
Level Contributor
9,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: picturesque city close to Venice

Another 30 minutes or so past Treviso is Vittorio Veneto. You can walk or bike along the river to the Serravale part of town and pass many beautiful villas, walk past the castello, and up the hill to St Agusta. The park near the train station is very nice with a great gelato stand. In the other direction is the Ceneda part of town with its war history museum.

TAB

Australia
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: picturesque city close to Venice

You're spoiled for choice! All of the above suggestions are spot on. Another one to consider is Castelfranco, again on the train route, toward Bassano del Grappa.

Here's a link to a website with information about Castelfranco, and some of the other places that others have recommended.

italyheaven.co.uk/veneto/castelfranco-veneto…

Locarno
Level Contributor
658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: picturesque city close to Venice

Padova and Verona, if you have never been there, worth a visit.

Or why not Chioggia? You can go by bus and ferry from the Lido, and see the Lagoon from a different side.

But if you want to drive a couple of hours you can go to Trieste, a really amazing town.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,234 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: picturesque city close to Venice

Chioggia is nice, a miniature Venice but not so touristy, but don't go Thursdays as it is market day, and it seems to take over,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,751 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: picturesque city close to Venice

Caorle (with the seaside sculpture walk) and Udine too...

Colorado
Level Contributor
250 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: picturesque city close to Venice

we are also looking at the option of staying outside of Venice and travelling into Venice for day trips...will we be able to find accommodations in these smaller towns that are less expensive than Venice hotels and still end up saving some money even after we have to pay train fares to Venice...just wondering...

sophie8, can you tell me anything more about Chioggia..."miniature Venice but not so touristy" sound like exactly what I'm looking for...

all advice welcome...thanks, Ana