We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schengen agreement

San Diego
Level Contributor
351 posts
369 reviews
Save Topic
Schengen agreement

Hi,

We were not aware of the Schengen agreement when we made our travel plans. It looks like when we leave Venice for the US we will have been in Europe 105 days, well in excess of the 90 days allowed.

Has anyone had any experience with this problem in Venice or Italy?

Thanks, Jim

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Schengen agreement

Are you in Venice now or will be in the future. If in the future, I would change my travel plans to cut it short, or apply for a Visa. Do not be surprised if you are pulled into a room for a while and questioned. Good luck!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,506 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Schengen agreement

I too suggest changing your plans if you haven't already traveled there; this isn't something you want a problem with - you could touch base with the consulate and see what you might be able to arrange so you don't have a hassle.

San Diego
Level Contributor
351 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Schengen agreement

We are not there yet. However, we have plane reservations and some other costs comitted. It will cost us quite a bit if we have to change our plans and go home early.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,506 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Schengen agreement

I would still check with the consulate and find out what sort of troubles you will be in for if you over extend the 90 days.

I don't think you are going to get too many responses here from people who have done this because most people that I have seen post here are aware of the 90 day limit.

I certainly wouldn't go without checking to see if there is something you can do do minimize problems for overstaying or at least finding out what you can possibly expect if you do nothing and leave the trip as is.

It's not a small matter to overstay and violate the limit.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Schengen agreement

I guess then, if you have time, I would apply for a Visa - necessary for any stay over the 90 days permitted. You must apply at your local Italian consulate. This is not something that I would take lightly and take my chances.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Schengen agreement

ps, I think it will cost you quite a bit more to NOT change your plans or apply for a visa. And since we are talking about permits and requirements - I would imagine that you will be driving if staying here that long? If so, make sure you get your IDP - International Driver's Permit. Available at any AAA office for approximately $20 with passport picture. An infraction without that alone is several hundred euro, so I can only imagine what the fine or penalty would be for an over 90 day stay without a visa. Please take heed to the advise given here by MomCat, et al.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Schengen agreement

< It looks like when we leave Venice for the US we will have been in Europe 105 days, well in excess of the 90 days allowed. >

It is not possible to stay legally in the Schengen Area longer than the 90 days allowed, except in the event of an unforeseen emergency (e.g. you or someone in your party is too ill to travel home).

I am not sure that Italy will grant a long-stay Schengen visa simply for tourism purposes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,506 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Schengen agreement

This is a situation to take very seriously, which I am sure you know by now. I hope you find a way to work it out.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,098 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Schengen agreement

You are going to have to change your plans. Either shorten your holiday, or re-arrange your travels so that you spend 15 days in a country that is not a party to the Schengen Treaty: UK, Ireland, Turkey, for example.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Schengen agreement

I would check with the American consulate...you are not saying you spent 105 days in Venice or Italy...so does that mean you are visiting other countries too...

getting a visa is unrealistic...they do not issue them unless you are a student, clergy or planning on a elective visa....and they take a while to get...I know I applied and got one for Italy when I knew we wanted to live here for at least a year...if everything you are doing is in Italy I would visit the expats in italy.com site....

I would also ask the airlines you are using....I would also ask experts in this kind of thing what it means...not a travel forum....but that is just me....

Edited: 15 June 2012, 01:12