We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car in Venice to Slovania and Croatic

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
colorado
Level Contributor
30 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
rental car in Venice to Slovania and Croatic

We are renting a car in Venice airport for 10 days. We would like to take a couple of days and travel to Slovenia and Croatic. Hertz said their was no restrictions. Has anyone rented a car in Venice and traveled to these countries without any problems? Is there anything we need to do? We have already booked the flight and car rental.

Need some advice from from all you experts

Thanks

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car in Venice to Slovania and Croatic

I have done it several times and had to advise them so that they ahd the correct documentation for the car to go over the border. There was also a extra insurance ( but there is a suplement for everything these days). I used Europcar and the last time I did it was about 3 years ago so things might have changed.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car in Venice to Slovania and Croatic

As said above check carefully. This subject comes up a lot and who at "Hertz" did you speak to.

When hiring in Germany for example the major companies do have various restrictions. AVIS for example has a blanket ban for Croatia and restrictions for Slovenia. This can in some instances, as said above, be mitigated at time of booking.

Hertz allow cars to be taken into Slovenia and Croatia HOWEVER there are restrictions on models. Most companies ban 4x4, SUV, Jags, Porsches and BMWs, Mercs, VW, Audis. This is important as you are only able to book a group. VW Polos are in the small car group. VW Golf and Merc A class in middle class compact. Sometimes BMW 1 series.

Therefore when you book your car make sure that you inform the company IMMEDIATELY and not at time of pickup.

AVIS informed me for instance that after booking online I should ring up immediately, inform them of countries to be visited so that the booking xould be updated with appropriate insurance etc.

Here is the blurb from Hertz Italy on driving restrictions - note the para on Croatia

======================================================

Hertz vehicles may be driven into and dropped off in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia (Ljubljana only), Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom (islands not included).

Hertz vehicles cannot be driven in any of the East European countries with the exception of Croatia where the transit only is allowed under written authorization and confirmation.

=======================================================

The following is from Hertz Germany (just as an example) to show how companies "treat" Sloveia, Croatia etc

========================================================

Hertz vehicles may be driven, but not dropped off in Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia. Certain exceptions apply. Please refer to "One-Way Rentals" in Rental Qualifications & Requirements.

All HPC vehicles except Luxury 4-5 doors Automatic (A6): Jaguar XF Aut. - GPS cannot be driven outside Germany.

Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, Audi models as well as Convertibles, Landrovers and Chrysler Cherokees cannot be driven into or dropped off in Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia.

========================================================

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car in Venice to Slovania and Croatic

If you are not already aware CDW insurance does not cover damage to Windscreens, chassis or tyres. Most companies now will offer as an option SDW - Super Damage Waiver - which covers these items and also insurance excess. EU citizens can by this insurance as annual cover from various insurance companies - e.g. I got mine through an insurance company recommended by the AA in the UK (similar to the AAA in the states). Unlimited number of rentals up to 31 days per rental. Cost me 60quid for worldwide cover. Don't know if you have something similar in the states. Depending on rental length and number of rentals you take out it may be cheaper to buy annual cover than pay the extra on individual rentals.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car in Venice to Slovania and Croatic

I used SIXT and they are incredible. You just need to tell them you will go to Slovenia and Croatia. There are limits on the size of the car you can take over the border.

But, their service is great. Highly recommended.

BTW, fill up the gas on highway. Don't wait for that pitiful station at the airport. It has the most expensive gas in (I think) entire Europe and they are too lazy to open before 8 am. You cannot use card to fill up the gas. You got to have cash. ATM in airport will not give any other amount of money, except 20 or 50 Euros. If you need to exchange 50 EU in smaller bills, there is no friendly way to do it. None of the stores in the airport will do it and they will tell you rude: "This is not the bank". So, returning vehicle to Venice airport is nightmare. Been there, done dat. Had it enough. Never again.

Edited: 25 June 2012, 04:04
colorado
Level Contributor
30 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car in Venice to Slovania and Croatic

Wow....just got home and checked Forum. Thanks so much for all the GREAT info. It helped a lot. You certainly are experts!!!!

6. Re: rental car in Venice to Slovania and Croatic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 05:45