We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing our St Mark's Basilica tour

Adelaide
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Timing our St Mark's Basilica tour

Hi there,

So we get into Venice at 12.45 on the train from Rome and after making our way to the hotel etc. we had planned to have a stroll around the neighbouhood, see the Rialto bridge, make our way to St Mark's Square for a wander and then a Gondola Ride. The next day we are booked in for the Secret Itineraries tour at Doge's Palace at 9.55am and after lunch had planned to go over to San Maggiore. When would be the best time to pre-book our entry for St Mark's Basilica? The afternoon we arrive at about 4ish or straight after we finish the SI tour the following day (at say 11.45am)?

Thanks for your help!

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing our St Mark's Basilica tour

I would book when they turn on the lights so you can see the mosaics lit up which is 11:30am until 12:30pm weekdays and all day on the weekends.

so beautiful!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing our St Mark's Basilica tour

Thanks for the tip about the lights! If I book an 11.45-12.00 entry for st marks will that leave enough time to complete our doges palace trip without being rushed?

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timing our St Mark's Basilica tour

that allows you about 35 minutes or so to see the rest of the palace, which might give you enough time, but could be rushed. I am guessing the next available slot is 12-12:15? Do read up on what the highlights of the palace to get a better idea of time. I am sure I spent at least 45-1 hour wandering, but I didn't have a time schedule.

I would book the next available slot time, then that would give you some time to see the rest of the palace, quick break and try to enter the basilica at the start of the 12-12:15 time frame. Make sure you read up on the bag restrictions etc.

have a wonderful time!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,339 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timing our St Mark's Basilica tour

Earlier slots are best this time of year for the S.I Tour as it can get very hot in those small rooms, later in the day,

5. Re: Timing our St Mark's Basilica tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 06:15