We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice in 48 hours and travel from the airport...

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Venice in 48 hours and travel from the airport...

Hi, My hubby and I are off this Friday to Venice, (12th wedding anniversary!) landing at Marco Polo. We're staying at Hotel Ala so we have to get to Giglio stop. We're want to take the cheapest option by boat. Is there a pass we can buy that would include the boat to and from the airport. We intend to do a lot of walking around but I know we want the option of jumping on a boat at any time! Also, any tips on what bars we can enjoy some live music in the evenings? Many thanks...x

Mentioned in this post
Marco Polo
Marco Polo
152 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,134 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice in 48 hours and travel from the airport...

If you look at the Top Questions at top right of this page, you should find answers to all your questions about transport.

You could also try your hotel's web site: http://www.hotelala.it/comeRaggiungerci.htm

Edited: 02 July 2012, 10:43
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice in 48 hours and travel from the airport...

Your cheapest option by boat is Alilaguna to San Marco and then walk to the Ala there are 2 bridges to cross . You could take the No1 2 stops if you wish. You can check the vaporetto passes on venice connected, they are well worth it.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice in 48 hours and travel from the airport...

The Hotel Ala is in Campo S, Maria d'Giglio which has its own water bus landing stage served by No, 1 vaporetto. If you take the bus or coach from Marco Polo to Piazzale Roma you can then board the No 1 for a voyage down the Grand Canal to S. Maria d'Giglio.

You can buy a Venice Connected Card at the airport Arrivals Hall.- there are no discounts for advanced purchases.

Bars with live music are not common inm Vencie but there are a few, though not necessarily every night. Try Bacaro Jazz, Salizada del Fomtego dei Tedeschi, San Marco; Cewntrale Restaurant loinge,Piscina Frezzeria, San marco for more subdued music or for a late night (up to around 2 am) walk over to Campo Santa Margherita in Dorsoduro.

Venice is not noted for its flourishing nightlife.

Mentioned in this post
Marco Polo
Marco Polo
152 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Campo Santa Margherita
Campo Santa Margherita
564 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Dorsoduro
Dorsoduro
2,040 Reviews
Venice, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,680 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice in 48 hours and travel from the airport...

There is a jazz club - pretty good actually; I went in March:

http://www.venicejazzclub.com/home1.html

You can make a reservation online; they respond with a confirmation email.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,205 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice in 48 hours and travel from the airport...

If you get a 48 hour Venice Connected pass including bus to Piazalle Roma, it will cover all vaporetto rides for your visit, worthwhile as each vaporetto trip is 7 euro

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice in 48 hours and travel from the airport...

thanks, great tips....x

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice in 48 hours and travel from the airport...

We have just arrived home from a 4 day trip to Venice, incredibly fabulous. However, it has been incredibly hot and humid and walking became a bit of an ordeal. The heat just hits you in the face when we left our hotel and we saw a few people being treadted for the effects of the heat. Wear a hat and drink plenty of water and you will be fine but take plenty of changed of clothing.

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice in 48 hours and travel from the airport...

Gosh, thats good to know, thanks. I keep thinking I should take trainers to walk around in but I'm clearly going to boil in them! Did you eat anywhere nice/cheap for dinner and drinks? Ta

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice in 48 hours and travel from the airport...

There are plenty of cheap(ish) pizza joints and places doing tourist menus. However, we tended to go a bit upmarket on the evenings. Mind you, at lunchtimes we found a place doing cicchetti ( a bit like tapas) down past the Accademia bridge. They are basically slices of french bread with all varieties of home made delights on top and cost one euro each. Myself and my wife had three of these each and a glass of prosecco and it cost us 10 euros in total. You are mixing with the locals and the more adventurous travelling punter here, if you don't speak Italian you will still be fine as the Cicchetti tend to be labelled and you can always just point.

It's great fun, good quality, cheap and filling.

Have a great time. (your feet will boil in trainers and socks, many people just wandering in flip flops and we used open sandals)

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
614 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice in 48 hours and travel from the airport...

Also just returned from Venice. It's very humid and hot, so buy the vaporetto pass and walk as little as possible, taking water with you or stopping to buy it (sitting down for a drink is hideously expensive - e.g. 4 euros for a juice).

The price of the passes has just increased from 1st July. The ACTV website is not up to date - the increase on a 3 day pass was 2 euros.