We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Munich Train Tickets

Saint Marys...
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Munich Train Tickets

I can not seem to find firm prices for train tickets from Venice to Munich for Oct. 3rd of this year. I have tried Tenitalia, RailEruope and Bahn.com. I can find an itinerary that leaves Venice at 08:50 to Verona and then to Munich arriving around 16:30. But when I check fares I either get a message that it is outside the horizon or that the tariff is unknown. I booked the itinerary at Bahn.com expecting a quote in 24 hours but so far have not heard back. That was 3 days ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated. Also any estimates of the cost per ticket would be helpful. Thanks!

Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
772 reviews
from US$174.00*
US$194.10
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,566 reviews
from US$56.30*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,543 reviews
from US$75.10*
US$91.40
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
294 reviews
from US$81.40*
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Munich Train Tickets

As far as I can see, http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html will sell you tickets for that connection without a problem. Just select it, click Continue, then choose the 'Adult oltre 15 anni' fare from the 'Select your fare' menu..

However I think you will get this journey a lot cheaper if you use that website to book from Venice to Verona Porta Nuova, and D. Bahn from Verona on to Munich.

N California
Level Contributor
523 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Munich Train Tickets

The German and Italian rail companies don't play well together, so it is hard to book a through ticket on that route. You can do it on the overnight trains, because they are run by one company, but it is often messy for the normal day trains.

If you buy two separate tickets (as mentioned above), do pay attention to the details of what is involved in rebooking if one train is late; the cheapest discount fares are often only good on the original train booked.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,679 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Munich Train Tickets

Since December, all reasonable connections on the route have been available for purchase from http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html

But if you want a cheap through ticket from that website, you must choose the 13.34 direct train, and the Europa 1 tariff, giving a fare of €39 for your date.

Saint Marys...
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Munich Train Tickets

Thanks. What does self service mean in the ticket dellivery section? Would I be able to print out tickets at a kiosk at the San Lucia train station in Venice?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,679 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Munich Train Tickets

A full list of stations with the appropriate multilingual ticket machines is supplied on a clickable link beneath the forced 'choice' of the self-service 'option'. Venezia Santa Lucia is included - so you can print your tickets there.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Munich Train Tickets

The €39 is a good deal as the same ticket (it is available to book for 3rd October) on German National rail www.bahn.de is €59

chicago
Level Contributor
72 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice to Munich Train Tickets

i booked this exact journey a year ago. i did it on bahn.com, i found all the other sites much harder to navigate. eventually i had to call them as we wanted a sleeper car for two people which seemed impossible to do online...but the regular tickets are there. it's supposed to be one of the beautiful train trips if you do it during the day but we took the night option so i can't tell you for sure. tickets were mailed to me to the usa and arrived no problem. prices varied depending on the time of the journey and how much in advance you were looking for

chicago
Level Contributor
72 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice to Munich Train Tickets

by the way, it took a long time for bahn.com to reply to any questions i emailed, they do have a phone number you can call, it's not expensive and they all speak pretty good english if you really get stuck. also i don't like trying to collect ftrain tix at overseas stations with an american-issued credit card so i opted for the tickets to be mailed. i've heard sometimes there are problems with using overseas cards for collection, but i'm not sure if that's really accurate, there could be posts about that elsewhere

9. Re: Venice to Munich Train Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 06:15