We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young, First-timers in Venice - on a budget!

LDN
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Young, First-timers in Venice - on a budget!

Hello everyone,

My boyfriend and I are heading to Venice next week for a 4 night stay in Cannaregio. We want to see the true Venice but we have a small budget so can't afford entry fees to many different palazzos, museums etc. Would anyone be able to advise us on a specific palazzo or museum that we should head for, that will kind of sum up Venice for us? Somewhere particularly grand or beautiful would be great..the content of the museum is not that important I guess.

Also can anyone recommend nightlife in Venice? We are not looking for clubs but a nice bar or some live music would be great. I've had a look at a couple of classical music shows but they seem too expensive for us.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young, First-timers in Venice - on a budget!

This is not what you are asking for but a superb, and cheap, experience is to take vaporetto no1 to the end of the line, just past the rail station. Walk a few yards up the canal to the return stop and let the first boat go. You'll then be at the head of the line when the next boat comes in and you can grab the very front seats. You can then journey the entire length of the canal with glorious, unimpeded views, for just a handful of euros.

For music venues you might get inspiration here:

www.timeout.com/venice/search/tag/4286/music

There are audio tours of the Fenice opera house for about 8 euros that might be the quintessentially Venetian experience you are seeking. Another option is to browse for inspiration in the book 'Secret Venice' by Thomas Jonglez and Paola Zoffoli.

I hope you enjoy your visit.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young, First-timers in Venice - on a budget!

Or, if you have the nerve, try this:

http://designeurlife.com/hotel-danieli

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,961 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young, First-timers in Venice - on a budget!

I think the two museums which correspond best to your description would be Ca' Rezzonico or the Querini Stampalia (but not necessarily both).

As to bars in the Cannaregio area, some of which sometimes host live music, and most of which have a mixed there are but often mostly local crowd, try Al Parlamento and MQ10 along Canale di Cannaregio, Al Timon, Bar Dodo, Paradiso Perduto and others along Fondamenta della Misericordia (which changes names several times before/after different bridges), and Santo Bevitore and Vecia Carbonera along different pieces of road heading towards Strada Nova.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
252 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young, First-timers in Venice - on a budget!

Another budget idea is to eat at a cicchetti bar. It's actually a good idea even if you're not on a budget. I only tried a couple of places, but I liked Do Spado in San Polo the best.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
252 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young, First-timers in Venice - on a budget!

Sorry, I mangled that name, it's actually Do Spade.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,700 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young, First-timers in Venice - on a budget!

I would say the Doge's Palace but you can't buy a ticket just for that any more. However you can get a Museums of St Marks Square ticket for €16.50, reduced to €8.50 for various ages including holders of the RollingVenice pass (ages 14-29) and that includes the Doge's Palace and several other museums.

www.vivaticket.it/index.php…

You can also get an afternoon pass, good for one afternoon, a bit cheaper

veniceconnected.com/ecommerce/carrello.php…

LDN
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Young, First-timers in Venice - on a budget!

Great suggestions, thanks everyone. After looking at Ca Rezzonico and Doges Palace I would like to visit both, so therefore I think we will buy museum passes, 20euros for access to both of them. The museum pass gives access to the following:

the Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale),

Museo Correr,

the Museo Archeologico Nazionale,

the Sale Monumentali della Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana; (the Settecento group) - Ca' Rezzonico,

Museo del Settecento Veneziano,

Museo di Palazzo Mocenigo e Centro di Studi di storia del tessuto e del costume,

Casa di Carlo Coldoni;

(the Island group) - Museo del vetro - Murano and the Museo del merletto.

Are any of these others recommended? I don't want to be going to museum after museum seeing the same kinds of things, but if one of these offers something different, I will add it to the list along with Ca Rezzonico and Doges Palace.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Seattle
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Young, First-timers in Venice - on a budget!

Suggest you take note of I_heart_venice posting. I waited too long (years) to enjoy Ca Rezzonico and will make it again next trip. Also the bars along the Misercodia are the best. Particularly enjoyed Paridoso Perduto. Also very good for lunch. Treated me really well.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,476 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Young, First-timers in Venice - on a budget!

Really the Rialto takes a lot of beating for lunch time snacks,

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Young, First-timers in Venice - on a budget!

In general, avoid eating in and around St Marks Square if you are on a budget. Cheaper places tend to be in other areas, especially around the train station in the north of the city. You will find a well stocked supermarket, Billa, on the main street leading to the station area, and another branch on the Zatttere, near the San Basilio boat stop- having a picnic occasionally can save you a lot of money. Rialto market is delightful to look around and buy snacks, fruit, etc too.