We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shared water taxi or Alilaguna boat ?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Shared water taxi or Alilaguna boat ?

Hello

Can anyone advise as to the best transport to get from the Marco Polo airport to the Bauer Hotel.

How far is the Alilaguna stop from the hotel ?

The other option appears to be the shared water taxi _but I have read that you often have quite a long wait for the other passengers?

Any advice would be greatly appreciate

Mentioned in this post
Marco Polo Airport
Marco Polo Airport
Venice, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,984 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shared water taxi or Alilaguna boat ?

A shared water taxi would be quicker en route.

Otherwise the Bauer is a short walk from the Vallaresso water bus landing stage though most Alilaguna ferries stop at San Zaccaria which is a considerably longer walk if you have lots of luggage.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shared water taxi or Alilaguna boat ?

Thank you so much ! Should I pre book the shared taxi or just try and get one when we arrive in Venice ?

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shared water taxi or Alilaguna boat ?

Is the Vallaresso water bus an alternate system to the Alilaguna ? And they have different stops ? And ticket offices? is there a map that I can download ?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,682 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shared water taxi or Alilaguna boat ?

There is also a Alilaguna stop at San Marco close to Vallaresso,

Vallaresso is a Vaporetto stop, the Water Bus service with serves Venice not the Airport,

Mentioned in this post
Vaporetto
Vaporetto
4,908 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,542 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shared water taxi or Alilaguna boat ?

If you go to Alilaguna.it then you can see all the stops, routes and timetables.

A shared water taxi you must book in advance. A private you can pre book ( consorzio) or turn up and go direct to the desk.

On actv.it you can see a map of all the public water bus stops- Alilaguna uses some of these( infact I think Alilagua are listed on the actv map as well)

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shared water taxi or Alilaguna boat ?

I do not recommend pre-booking a shared water-taxi, especially through Viator, because you will end up paying considerably more than if you just wait until you arrive in Venice.

I falsely assumed it would be prudent to pre-book our shared water-taxi departure from Venice to Marco Polo Airport. I was wrong. After watching several other travellers depart with their luggage this morning from the pier located at our hotel restaurant, I inquired at the hotel desk what the cost of these PRIVATE water-taxis was - and to my surprise it was cheaper than what I payed on Viator for a shared water-taxi. To add insult to injury, our Viator booked shared water-taxi does not even come to the pier at our hotel. We have to haul our luggage (in hot temperature) down the street, up and over a bridge, and down the street some more - to where their local boat company has their pier - which was not clear when making the booking.

So - pre-booking is not always wiser nor cheaper!! Avoid Viator!!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Marco Polo Airport
Marco Polo Airport
Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shared water taxi or Alilaguna boat ?

You obviously did not do enough homework before booking. How can a shared water taxi be more expensive than a private taxi?

If you book the shared transfer through www.venicelink.com, the cost of a (shared) transfer is only € 27 per person, with a minimum booking for 2 persons, meaning € 54. A private taxi would cost you at least € 100

see

www.venicelink.com/index.php…

Viator charges about € 60 for two, which is slightly more than Venicelink

see

viator.com/tours/…d522-2495VENHTLAPT

The conditions of booking are clearly stated:

"Departure Point:

The guide will meet you at one of the boat stops. Venice Airport Link operates from 4:00am to 6:00pm from designated Venice meeting points. The closest meeting point to your hotel will be confirmed"

Edited: 27 July 2012, 13:35
Mentioned in this post
Venicelink
Venicelink
157 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shared water taxi or Alilaguna boat ?

You're absolutely correct that I did not do my homework thoroughly, for if I had I would have read the numerous negative reviews of prior Viator customers who also booked this "shared transfer" experience/fiasco.

So little Viator minion, how much do you get paid for trolling website reviews for your boss?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shared water taxi or Alilaguna boat ?

You are missing the point of my post, I am just pointing out that a private water taxi cannot be cheaper than a shared water taxi. Here is the site people book for private water taxi in Venice:

www.motoscafivenezia.it/eng/…

Whether people choose to use Viator or not, it is their choice, I would recommend people to go directly to Venicelink, and not Viator. Viator is not the operator.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Venicelink
Venicelink
157 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shared water taxi or Alilaguna boat ?

Can not? or Should not? One would assume that a shared water taxi would not be more expensive than a private water taxi, but one would be wrong. In my experience of making a booking for 4 people on a shared water taxi (through a 3rd party i.e. Viator) the cost was $150 U.S. Having not travelled to Venice in 30 years and wanting to take care of details in advance, as much as possible, I booked online with them. Had I done more homework, I may have come across the Venicelink - and found that one could book a private water taxi for 4 people for less than the cost of this shared taxi. Even by booking through the concierge at our hotel the cost for the private water taxi with pick-up at our hotel door/pier is only $135 U.S.

So, I think you mean to say a private water taxi "should not" be cheaper than a shared water taxi - but indeed it can.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Venicelink
Venicelink
157 Reviews
Venice, Italy