We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning my trip to Venice

Gistel, Belgium
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Planning my trip to Venice

Hey!

I'm leaving for Venice in September, but I'm already plannig my trip. I always make a sort of schedule, and I would like to know it it's too tight or if I'm going to have a lot of time left... We're going for my parent's 24th anniversary, so we will celebrate a little. This is my plan:

Day one

1 Arrival hotel Metropole (around 15h)

2 Walk to san marco, having coffee at Café Florian

3 Ponte della Palgia & the other bridge

4 Chiesa di San Moisé

5 Walking back to the hotel, preparing for dinner

Day two

1 Basilica San Marco

2 Palazzo Ducale

3 Campanile

4 San Salvatore

5 Santo Stefano

6 La Fenice (just having a look, not really visiting, maybe checking out for opera tickets)

7 Walking back to the hotel, preparing for dinner

Day 3

1 Santi Giovanni e Paolo / San Zanipolo

2 San Cassiano

3 San Rocco

4 San Polo

5 Rialtobridge

6 Walking back to the hotel, preparing for dinner

Day 4

1 San Nicolo dei Mendicoli

2 Angelo Raffaele

3 Zattere

4 Santa Maria della Solute

5 Peggy Guggenheim Museum

6 Walking back to the hotel, preparing for dinner

Day 4

1 Gesuiti

2 Santa Maria dei Miracoli

3 Lunch @ Bauer

4 Ca'Rezzonico

5 La pieta

6 Last walk in Venice

7 Hotel, preparing for dinner

Day two we will also be paying a short visit to the Disney store, because it's in that neighbourhood and my sister is a big Disney fan.

Besides the lunch an the Bauer, I have booked a dinner at restaurant Da Ivio. Can you recommend me any other good restaurants? Not too expensive, because the other two are already rather expensive...

So, what do you think about my itinerary? Can I make it? We would be walking the most of it, because I think walking is a great way to discover a city... One night we would also talk a gondola ride (I'm not sure if you call it 'a ride'...)

PS: I'm sorry if my English isn't perfect, it isn't my native language

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning my trip to Venice

First of all, your English is great, so no worries! Secondly, I'm sure you can do all of this, but my best recommendation for Venice is to lose your list. Pick out one main thing a day you can't live without seeing, and otherwise just get lost in the streets. In September there will still be a LOT of tourists, so if you want to avoid them, concentrate on Dorsoduro and S Elena, my two favorite areas. Also I would recommend an afternoon going out to Burano. It is a small fishing island with brightly colored houses and its own 'mini-canals' which is well worth the time to get there on public transport. I've never taken a gondola ride, but I can enthusiastically recommend riding the #1 or #2 vaporetto the whole way down the Grand Canal late at night when there are less people. Grab a seat in front, and just enjoy the whole slow trip. Have a wonderful trip!

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning my trip to Venice

Happily took the words right out of my mouth. Once you get to Venice you may change your mind on things. It always happens to us when we travel. We have the best intentions to see such and such but we leave room for spontaneity, too. Do and see what you can and want at that particular time. And do not beat yourself up for not seeing everything on your list. Priorities on trips change, too! :-)

I second the rec for Burano. I prefer it to Murano. Less busy and so pretty. It is very well known for its lace and colourful buildings.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning my trip to Venice

Hey Julz!

Lucky you to be exploring Venice for the first time. The first two responses were spot-on...set yourself a few things that you would like to see, and beyond that just explore. Certainly Burano is nice as well.

I avoided going to Venice for several years when we visited Italy. I thought I wouldn't like it. People said it was over-run with tourists. That it smelled funny. When we finally did go I fell completely in love. I think it is the most beautiful city in the world. No cars. No mobylettes. No bicycles. Only boats and feet. By day and by night every neighborhood has its own special discoveries both grand and small. Yes there are tourists, but they tend to flock to well-worn paths. San Marco. Rialto Bridge, etc. With (very) little imagination, one can find quiet back neighborhoods, especially in September. (It does not "smell funny" ...no more than any other seaside town.)

Don't worry about not seeing everything on your list. You are fortunate to be close enough in Belgium to visit again (and again).

You ask about restaurants, and there are lots of favorites in Venice! One that I like is Ristorante Riviera on the Fundamenta Zattere:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187870-d1…

www.alpesador.it/#/RISTORANTE-RIVIERA-03-00/

You can eat outside if the weather is nice, the food is great and not too expensive.

-Karl

(BTW, no apologies for your English, it's perfect. Far better than my Flemish!)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,650 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning my trip to Venice

I think you have a very tight schedule, much to organised more like a assault than a holiday i think you would enjoy i6t far more to trim your list, and take more as it comes,

Gistel, Belgium
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning my trip to Venice

Hey everyone,

Thank you for your responses! I think you may all be right, and that I shouldn't plan my visit that much (it's just a habbit, I do it everytime I leave for vacation). I'll check out Burano and see what I would have to 'give up' visiting in Venice city...

Karl, thank you for recommending that restaurant, it looks great! If (and that's a big if keeping your responses at mind) everything goes as planned, we'll be there around lunchtime and maybe we can eat there. Do you think making a reservation is necessary?

Thank you for your help!

Julz

6. Re: Planning my trip to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2013, 10:16