We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near Venice Rail station

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Topic
Hotel near Venice Rail station

We will be arriving in Venice by train and need accommodation on 19th and 20th September.

As an older couple we do not want to have to struggle with luggage over bridges or long distances from the rail station.

Can anyone recommend a good 3/4 star hotel by the Grand canal and on the same side as the rail station please?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near Venice Rail station

The hotel star system in Italy is not related to how nice the place is, but how many amenities they offer (e.g. 24 hr front desk, lift, parking). Don't exclude 2 star hotels from your consideration.

I'm afraid I can't recommend a place near the train station. I prefer Pensione Guerrato or the Dorsoduro neighborhood.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Pensione Guerrato
Pensione Guerrato
602 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Dorsoduro
Dorsoduro
2,045 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near Venice Rail station

Thank you for your advice.

I'll include 2 star hotels too.

NY
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near Venice Rail station

There are actually quite a few farily servicable good hotels in that area and on the station side of the bridge. I have stayed at the Florida, maybe not the best but reasonable cost and clean, but no elevator, pretty good breakfast and free computer after the breakfast hours (well free for a certain amount of time, I forget how long)

But others will have other suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near Venice Rail station

I always stay at the Hotel Abbazia. There are no bridges to cross and it is right around the corner from the train station. Despite its locale, it is very quiet. www.abbaziahotel.com

It is in a former abbey, has a lovely lounge area with bar for pre-dinner cocktails, a bright breakfast room (breakfast is included), outdoor garden seating area, and a friendly front desk staff. The rooms are all well appointed and decorated tastefully with nice clean bathrooms. Rates are reasonable as well.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,518 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near Venice Rail station

Have a look at the Principe,

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187870-d2289…

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near Venice Rail station

I stayed here, a vey short walk from the station. I had a canal view, the staff was professional and I had no complaints.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d228933…

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,532 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near Venice Rail station

Principe , Amadeus, Bellini, Continental or Lcanda Orsaria small and pleasant .

Mentioned in this post
Bellini
Bellini
1,682 Reviews
Venice, Italy
UK
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near Venice Rail station

I have stayed at the Locanda di Orsaria three (or four?) times and found it excellent value. However the stairs are narrow, and, of course, there isn't a lift (elevator). I have also stayed at the Abbazia, and it is really very nice indeed. It used to be a monastery (as the name implies) and so the garden is a former cloister, and the lounge is a former refectory with a pulpit. It is much more spacious than the Locanda di Orsaria.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel near Venice Rail station

Bear in mind that September is High Season in Venice so prices and availability will reflect that.

Edited: 23 August 2012, 11:06
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,518 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel near Venice Rail station

Also very busy in may be a case where are there vacancies

Have a look at www.venere.com and see what is available,