We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gondola

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London Ontario
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Gondola

Wondering were the best location and time to take a gondola ride from and what route you would request.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,147 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gondola

You do not request routes they are more or less set, as the Gondolier knows how long a route takes so as to get you back to base,

Where you pick a gondola up is really up to as to time you take it

This is the official tariff,

www.gondolavenezia.it/storia_tariffe.asp…

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gondola

It is possible to request a specific route, but the price will be based upon the time it takes to complete the route.

The "standard" routes are already calculated more or less on the 40 or 60 minute base fares to be able to return to the departure point, but any other extension can be negotiated.

Be aware, of course, that Venetians have been negotiating (and used to winning) for more than a few centuries, so you probably won't get half the deal you think you are if you insist too much.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gondola

I did a lot of research on gondola rides the last time I was in Venice. You can read my full article here!

…blogspot.com/p/playing-gondola-game-in-veni…

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gondola

Ty is right (see his blog)!

We did not bother, and spent the money on lovely meals instead (see my trip report). Just as romantic really.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,147 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gondola

I would of said that once, all the times I have been to Venice, juswt once took a Gondola ride, really no regrets it is quite an experience,

Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gondola

Do I need to pre-book the gondola ride in advance before my trip? Or it is easy to get one on site ? Another question, is that possible to request private ride for only 2 instead of 6, off course probably will need to pay more for that but just wonder if it is possible for such request. Many thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,147 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gondola

You do not have to pre book, there are plenty of Gondola about to be hired,, the cost is per Gondola the same for up to six people, , you do not have to share,

Atlanta
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gondola

There are several big gondola stations, most notably at San Marco square and near the Rialto Bridge. Just walk up and hire a gondolier on the spot. If the first one won't accept the official rate, move on to the next one. I would recommend staying away from the "freelance" gondoliers who park their gondolas in the small canals because they're more likely to overcharge you. And yes, the rate is per trip, not per person, so two people will pay the same amount as six.

Edited: 27 September 2012, 14:34
Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gondola

I have made this suggestion before: if I were you I'd print out that official tariff that Sophie gave you so that you can at least show the gondoliere that you know what you're talking about.

I know it may not be much use, but it doesn't cost you anything.

Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gondola

Thanks for all the advise and info.... Can't wait to go to Italy ...:)