We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Cultural performance??

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Which Cultural performance??

My wife and I are travelling to Venice next week and are interested in seeing a cultural performance.

I have narrowed it down to Vivaldi 4 Seasons by Interpreti Veneziana, Rigoletto Operat at La Teatro Fenice OR a performance at Musica a Palazzo.

Which would travellers recommend?

Thank you in anticipation

Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,564 reviews
from US$56.80*
Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
772 reviews
from US$175.60*
US$195.80
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,541 reviews
from US$75.80*
US$92.20
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
290 reviews
from US$82.10*
BAC
Level Contributor
330 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Cultural performance??

In only have experience of 1 and 2, but while 1 is enjoyable - I think that Option 2 is a much finer night out.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Cultural performance??

Il Teatro la Fenice is opera of a much higher level than the other two.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Cultural performance??

Thank you kindly guys. Il Teatro la Fenice it is then.

Many thanks

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Cultural performance??

If you are booking for La Fenice at the last minute, I doubt you will get a good seat unless you pay a huge sum and beware that many of the cheapest seats have a very restricted view of the stage. I recommend Musica a Palazzo for a wonderfully intimate, scaled-down opera performance in a faded palazzo - a unique Venetian experience.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Cultural performance??

Good opera is almost always expensive. Anyway, there are still tickets available for Rigoletto in the coming week.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Cultural performance??

Nor is Musica a Palazzo inexpensive. It's a 60-Euro "membership fee", which includes a ticket. Given my druthers, I'd rather see Rigoletto at La Fenice, which is itself a jewel box.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Cultural performance??

There are tickets for Rigoletto available in the 100-110 euro range for next week. This is less expensive than most opera houses, but it's really not an internationally known cast, although I'm sure they're still very good. It's the cheaper tickets that were sold out on the random night I checked.

Between 60 euros for Musica a Palazzo and 100 euros for La Fenice, I wouldn't hesitate at all to choose La Fenice.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Cultural performance??

I agree that the ticket price at Musica a Palazzo has become high, especially for non-named artistes - I think I only paid €25 on my first visit six years ago. However, I have heard stories of people purchasing "cheap" seats at La Fenice and not being able to see the stage and I just wanted the OP to be aware of this. Anyone buying cheaper seats, especially just a week before a performance, should ask about sight lines and whether the view is restricted.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Cultural performance??

I agree with the above advice - go for La Fenice. The seats to avoid are the ones on the second row of the boxes - the front row is fine, as are the stalls seats and the centre of the gallery.

Level Contributor
5 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Cultural performance??

Il Barbiere at Musica a Palazzo would be my suggestion.