We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much for a Gondola ride?

West Valley City...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Topic
How much for a Gondola ride?

I know the official rate is €80 for 40 minutes but I understand that this is more of a guideline than a rule. My question is what did you actually pay for a gondola ride and do you feel it was worth it.

Row Venice
Gondola Cruises
Tour Leader Venice
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours, Gondola Cruises
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, Gondola Cruises, Cultural Tours, City Tours
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,793 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much for a Gondola ride?

This is the official tariff,

www.gondolavenezia.it/storia_tariffe.asp…

I dont think a guideline, as as a one off it is worth it,

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
651 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much for a Gondola ride?

We just took one last week. Ran about 100.00 Euro for about an hour. This was in the evening right when the sun had just set. Expensive, yes. Worth it, absolutely!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
951 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much for a Gondola ride?

We took during the same time as operettaman last year and paid 80 euros for around 30-35 minutes.

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
368 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much for a Gondola ride?

80 or 100....it is worth every euro. You should however download the link sophie sent with the prices.

Enjoy

dpranne

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
951 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much for a Gondola ride?

Definately worth every euro..For me it's an experience not to be missed,especially if you are a couple looking something romantic!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much for a Gondola ride?

I've done both a gondola ride and a water taxi. To me, the water taxi was almost as good and much cheaper! But everyone must choose for themselves what a ride like that is worth. I've got handy tips for hiring a gondola in my new article here:

smart-trips.net/p/playing-gondola-game-in-ve…

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How much for a Gondola ride?

Ty: I respectfully disagree with several items in your article. First, your experience regarding what you paid for a gondola ride puts you in the minority of what most people pay if you read the above posts and if you search for prior posts in this forum. I have had the pleasure of a gondola ride twice and both times paid €80 for 40 minutes and the first time it was actually closer to 1 hour.

I also feel you perpetuate the myth of an unpleasant odor from the canals. There are many threads on this forum dispelling that myth.

Venice is a great city for walking but a gondola ride in the smaller canals affords a vantage point that is unique and cannot be replicated in a water taxi or a traghetto.

The only thing I agree with in your article is the need to agree to how long the ride will actually be - along with the price.

Everyone must decide for themselves whether the money is worth this unique experience but I honestly found your article to be rather slanted.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much for a Gondola ride?

How can you say my article was slanted when it was based on my own experiences? I've only taken one gondola ride, but during another trip to Venice I stopped and talked to about six different gondoliers. I asked what their price was and how long the trip would last. To be frank, I was disappointed at the number of gondoliers who simply wouldn't accept the "legal" rate.

My article is based on those interviews, the one gondola ride I took, and the conversations I've had with other travel writers. I'm not saying a person can't enjoy a nice gondola ride for a good price, but many first-time visitors assume that they'll always get what they pay for, and this is not the case.

I think more people are paying fair prices and getting longer rides these days because they're actually doing their research, asking questions, and making sure they get what they pay for--which is great! When I first started writing travel articles 12 years ago, it seemed like no one felt satisfied with what they were paying.

As for seeing the smaller canals, I stand by my statement that you won't see anything from the water that you can't also see from the land. And you can also see some sites from a water taxi that you can't see from a gondola, because the water is too rough for gondolas in some of the wider canals.

Regarding the odor I mentioned, it's worse in some places than others and also waxes and wanes with the seasons. When I've been in Venice in the fall, I haven't noticed it much. In the heat of June, it was very heavy in some spots.

If your personal experiences were different from mine--good for you! I'm glad you got your money's worth and enjoyed your ride. But I act as an advocate for travelers and want everyone to get a good deal, hence my article. And you'll notice that I didn't advise people to avoid gondola rides altogether; I just let them know that they do have alternatives for seeing Venice, and gave tips to use if they do decide to hire a gondola.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,793 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much for a Gondola ride?

I agree with Ijaguar well said !!

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,833 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much for a Gondola ride?

I too think the generalizations assumed from what Ty admits are limited to a one time experience may be a bit too wide sweeping.

Having lived in Venice for years, either I have become immune to it, or the problem of odors is much less diffuse than you paint it (or perhaps spray it). Since I do note it on occasion, and yes, more often in high heat than in the cold, I don't think I have grown immune, and it is not inexistent, but it is hardly cause to threaten a gondola ride with lovers pinching each others' noses for the "spussa" as it really is an exception rather than the rule.

Many of the views from the water, and from the gondola, are not duplicable while walking. What you are seeing, in many cases, except for the campi, are the service entrances and back doors to the palazzi, while the gondola lets you see the "street view", as it were, when Venice was built.

It is also quite easy to hit a dead end when wandering, as not all the calli have bridges to cross when they reach the water. Ironically enough, considering how Ty dismisses these as limited and no cause for worry, it is from these many dead ends that one can manage views close to what you get along the entire gondola ride.

I also disagree strongly that the water taxi and traghetto give anything like the same experience as the gondola. While not dismissing either alternative experience in the least (few would suggest gelato and caffé instead of cichetti and ombra, but both are a great pause) they just have quite little to do one with the others.