We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding a quiet neighborhood in Venice

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NewYork City
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Finding a quiet neighborhood in Venice

I have been doing alot of research on the different neighborhoods in Venice because I am looking for a quiet neighborhood with the least amount of noise pollution.

We want a quiet neighboorhood where we will beable to rest and not hear noise pollutionat at night or during the day if possible.We are looking for an air conditioned apartment or a nice place with a large room. Can you recommend the ideal neighborhoods. Maybe not too far from the major sites yet quiet.

Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding a quiet neighborhood in Venice

We enjoyed staying in Cannaregio.....however most of the different sestieres are well thought of. We found Cannaregio to be tranquil, yet fun. There are great reasonable restaurants and a lot of local residents live there.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
951 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding a quiet neighborhood in Venice

Apart from parts of San Marco area,wherever you stay will be fine..Beauty is everywhere!! (although Dorsoduro is my favourite one!)

Edited: 10 September 2012, 22:18
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding a quiet neighborhood in Venice

Stay away from Piazza San Marco and the Rialto bridge and any large piazzas. With the exception of those places, Venice is surprisingly quiet.

Feel free to come back here with requests about any specific hotel. For example, Pensione Guerrato (one of my favorites) has some rooms that look out over a popular watering hole where the locals hang out in the evenings and it can get a little loud with the windows open. The windows are soundproofed, but that doesn't help if they're open. (I still love Guerrato, though.)

And do take along ear plugs just in case you end up someplace that's louder than you want. I wouldn't travel without them.

Venice is very compact, so as long as you stay somewhere not on the very edges, you'll have easy access to the main sites.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding a quiet neighborhood in Venice

I've stayed in the Dorsodoro area and it was very quiet. I've stayed at Ca Zose which is about 5 minutes from the Salute vaporetto stop over 1 bridge and I believe Hotel Dinesen is close by (probably more accurately between the Accademia and Salute vap stop).

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding a quiet neighborhood in Venice

If you can do without the AC, I can recommend a very nice and quiet apartment.

denver
Level Contributor
218 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding a quiet neighborhood in Venice

We stayed in Cannaregio and really enjoyed it. Quiet, beautiful. Felt like residents instead of tourists. Great bakery, an Arte della pizza (awesome pizza), grocery stores, loads of restaurants.

Our apartment was about 10 minutes walk to Rialto. We could walk everywhere. The 'Orto' vaporetto stop was very convenient, especially to/from the airport Alilaguna.

I really liked the Dorsoduro neighborhood as well. Seemed very posh and beautiful.

You're in Venice...you can't go wrong! Have a great time.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,120 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finding a quiet neighborhood in Venice

No where in Venice is far, Venice is not big, there are many areas which are quiet but with an apartment you need a Supermarket for provisions , so i would say Cannaregio to the North and as many have ,mentioned Dorsoduro,

Kandy, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finding a quiet neighborhood in Venice

If you want also some nice restaurants and bars around I definitely suggest you Dorsoduro and Cannaregio.

Otherwise, if you really want to be VERY QUIET, why don't you try Castello in Venice, Giudecca or Murano and Burano? The islands are a real hideaway...but definitely avoid San Marco and Rialto area.

The rest will be great.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,857 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finding a quiet neighborhood in Venice

I think quiet may also be a function of when you intend on visiting Venice and how well positioned and insulated are the windows of the property you will be staying at. We stayed several times at a small hotel (Hotel Flora) in the heart of San Marco and never had an issue with noise. Also, if you visit at the height of a summer season or Carnevale, you may have nowhere to hide from the crowds. That said, I love San Polo, but there are no right or wrong answers here, IMO.

Edited: 11 September 2012, 22:10
NewYork City
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Finding a quiet neighborhood in Venice

As I research for our May trip for acccommodtions in Venice

the Dorsoduro area seems to be quiet and yet not far from the main attractions. I have been looking for apartments in the Dorsoduro area and some of them boast about being near the Zattere .Is this a good place and easy to get to the main atractions. What area of Dorsoduro is best to stay in? I read not to stay to close to Piazzale Roma because the Venice charm is gone n this area. Can yhou please comment. Thank you so much for your help