We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does the air conditioning have to shut off at midnight?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Does the air conditioning have to shut off at midnight?

I tried running a search on this and could not find an answer, so maybe someone can help me. We are a family of 6 traveling through Europe and want to stop in Venice for 2 nights. I would like to find an apartment so we can all stay together. Most of the recommended apartment brokers that I see here do not rent for less than 3 to 5 nights, so I have to find my own. Anyway, in reading reviews I am seeing people complain that when they got to their apartment that the rules state that it is the law to shut down your A/C at midnight or risk getting a ticket from the police. Is this a fact, or is this something with just this particular rental agency? I asked the agency and they said it is the law, but I see all sorts of posts on great A/C and no one mentions this.

It is an important item for us not just for comfort, but my mom is travelling with us and always needs A/C due to health reasons. We are travelling at the end of June/1st part of July.

Thanks for the help on this...if we can't run the A/C all night, then we probably won't be able to go to Venice at all.

Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does the air conditioning have to shut off at midnight?

Try airbnb.com great places for 2 nights.

Some places try perseve energy by cutting air con at 12 . You shouldn't need aircon at night as it get quite cool in Venice at night.

California
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does the air conditioning have to shut off at midnight?

Thank you...airibnb.com is where I was looking and saw the reviews about the A/C problems. I agree that normally one may not need it at night, but unfortunately my mom does.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,238 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does the air conditioning have to shut off at midnight?

I have only stayed twice in apartments in Venice, , but more Hotels than I can remember, I have never heard any thing like this,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,588 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does the air conditioning have to shut off at midnight?

The law states a maximum number of hours that air conditioning or heating can be turned on during the day.

With some apartments, depending on where the cooling fans face, it is possible that to avoid problems with noise, they are limited to certain hours (so midnight to 7am may be excluded as the fans would create too much noise for the adjoining apartments) as there are strict laws against noise pollution, based on the difference between background noise and noise created.

In a city like Venice, where the buildings are very close together, there are limited alternatives for the technical plants, and the buildings were mostly all constructed and positioned many centuries ago before the problems of AC fan units, this can be a real problem, and it is regulated by law.

I have no idea about the specific case cited, but it is very possible that it could be a perfectly reasonable response.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,384 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does the air conditioning have to shut off at midnight?

Just when you need AC the most: midnight-7 am so one can at least sleep in comfort. Ah, the joys of visiting Italy in the Winter and Spring when AC is not needed.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does the air conditioning have to shut off at midnight?

It isn't needed in the Autumn either, at least in Northern Italy.

Edited: 16 September 2012, 23:11
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,071 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does the air conditioning have to shut off at midnight?

Lupauling..its not all areas but some where the houses are so close together that if each flat placed one outside the the building opposite would be blasted with hot air and have the noise of say 4 external units during the night. Maybe somebody in the other building can't afford to purchase and install AC so basically having the wimdows open , would have to suffer the heat and the hot extra air and the noise. Fortunate people on the top floor might and I stress might be able to install on the roof but then toruists would complain that the skyline and the city atmosphere is ruined by un sightly AC boxes ( and satelite dishes and solar panels) etc...

I am lucky as I have a small terrace and mine is installed on there and is out of sight- most people if they can do that, or illegally install on a window or small balcony. But all are not so fortunate....... Luckily there are now superior machines, quiet and with small external units and some with none at all but not all are appropriate for all buildings. ( plus its another cost)

California
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does the air conditioning have to shut off at midnight?

Thanks to all who posted. According to Faville Tours, all of their apartments require the A/C to be off from midnight to 7:00am. Another rental agency told me 11:00pm to 7:00am. Both sited it as "The Law" in the City of Venice.

I understand why this may be, but it has been brutal for me trying to find an apartment we can afford for 2 nights, that sleeps 6 people (5 beds needed), and does not have the A/C restrictions. Again, we need it for my mom...and at this point, we may just have to skip Venice altogether, which would be a big bummer.

Thanks again for the clarification!

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,071 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does the air conditioning have to shut off at midnight?

Just for your info Faville has been slated on here in the past !

Try venere.com for maybe a small locanda or B&B that might be in your price range

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does the air conditioning have to shut off at midnight?

I feel sorry that you are considering skipping Venice but I do understand your decision if it has to come to that. Venice is a very special place to visit, very unique and you will enjoy it. You could consider staying in Mestre on the mainland before the lagoon city, hotels are cheaper there and then you can take the very short train ride into Venice daily. Mestre may not have the A/C off rule. You have time on your side right now, several months to look for a hotel or apartment there, so check venere.com and hotels.com and see what you can get in your price range.

May be if you tell us your budget you might get a specific recommendation for a hotel or even an apartment that might fit your budget.