We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verona Day Trip

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
154 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Verona Day Trip

My husband and I are going to take a day trip to Verona from Venice. I saw a travel show on it and it looks like it has quite a lot of things my husband and I would enjoy like the Roman parts of the city. My question is how long should I give myself in Verona (not including travel time)? I would like to see some of the main sites and relax in a piazza but still make it back to Venice at a decent time. Any insight would be appreciated.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verona Day Trip

That is a difficult question, it really depends on what you want to see. We stayed in Bologna and did a day trip to Verona, coming back on the last train. We liked Verona so much we went back the next day!

So, I would suggest you allow at least a full day if you can.

However, I know once I get to Venice, I love it so much it is hard to leave it, even for a day!

UK
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verona Day Trip

The historic centre of Verona is quite small and you should be able to see everything in a day. But get there as early as you can is always a good idea. If you think you've seen everything you want to see, you can always go back early. There is a 'Verona card' that gets you into the main attractions at a reduced price.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verona Day Trip

The Rick Steves Venice book gives good suggestions on how to do Verona in a day.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
154 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verona Day Trip

Thank you for the help.

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Verona Day Trip

If you read this short trip report you will have a very good idea whats on offer in Verona.

john-uk.com/Italy/ItalyDay1Friday13May.html

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,021 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Verona Day Trip

May be interested in my report as well. It is a little old and some of the prices might have changed :-

Monday 30/06/08 – Garda to Verona

Back to Garda bus station this morning to catch 9.03am bus to Verona. Journey time was just over an hour, €6.60 per person for a return trip. We purchased the bus tickets before hand from Garda bus station, don’t forget to stamp your tickets on the bus. Very impressed with the buses, bus arrived on time with a very smooth comfortable journey. Instead of disembarking the bus by the arena we travelled onto the main bus station and walked towards Piazza Bra. It was only just over a five minute walk but we wanted to find out where the bus station was for the return journey.

I was extremely impressed with Verona, absolutely stunning. The Piazza Bra, the largest square of the city and one of the largest in Italy was extremely quiet at 10am on Monday morning and combined with the beautiful buildings, waterfalls and impressive arena this was one of the highlights of the trip. We went into the arena (€4 per person) and I was extremely impressive, it definitely had the ‘wow’ factor. It was extremely warm inside the arena, temperature was around 32C but if felt like 42C! After the arena we passed through the squares of Piazza dei Signori and walked along Via Cappello to the Casa di Giulietta, where Juliet’s balcony was located. We had a excellent lunch in La Costa in Bria on Plazza Bra with an excellent view of the arena. We realised that we were sitting in a prime location, bit like St Mark’s square in Venice and I was expecting a large bill but it was actually very reasonable. We later walked back to the bus station for our bus back to Garda. The bus departed from stand 12, bus number 62 – 64. Unfortunately, we did not have enough time to visit the opera but this is a good excuse to return to this magical city

NY
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verona Day Trip

There is no way you can see "everything" in a day, so plan what you want to see and your walking routes.

There is a very good tourist information office in the old wall inside the Piazza Bra - go there first. The Verona card is a good choice but you have to buy one that is good for either 2 or 5 days, but it can save even after visits to 2 or 3 places. The Arena entrance is inside the wall, the theater is across the river and a bit of a hike. Note both places they are used for many concerts and other events and some areas have modern seats installed, so it takes away a bit from the original. There are taxis at the train station and in the Piazza that you might use from the train station up to town (about a 15 minute walk) or to some further places to save you time. Otherwise you will be doing lots of walking, but that is great if you have the time and energy.

Also your train to and from will take around 1 hour on a fast train or 1.5- 2 hours on a regionale, so plan based on schedules and how much you want to pay.

Romeo and Juliet stuff is a laugher, but you can go into the courtyard for free to see the statue and balcony, it is on a main tourist street - understand they even have their tombs somewhere. These people never existed and Shakespeare was never in Verona

Edited: 23 September 2012, 12:58
Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
154 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verona Day Trip

Wow what helpful information. Thank you so very much. The trip reports were very informative. I will plan on leaving early for Verona and then taking a later train back to Venice, maybe 6 or 7pm. It looks like there is alot more than I originally thought in Verona.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
601 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Verona Day Trip

By coincidence I read this post about twenty minutes after arriving in Verona from Venice. If you are undecided about taking the express or local train there are pros and cons; namely the price. However yesterday, by local train the journey took nearly three hours! Sunday is especially lively in Verona, perhaps a little too lively sometimes with impromptu street theatre, music and sports. Ignore the R & J twaddle, buy a good guide book and explore this city that has much to offer but like all the most rewarding places it needs a little work.

10. Re: Verona Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2013, 10:15