We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Level

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Water Level

Last time I was in Venice it was under 18" of water. Needless to say we could not do a lot. Is there a way to know when there is not going to be a flooding problem so I could plan ahead?

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,093 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Level

Aqua alta occurs when you have high tides alsong with winds that push more water into Venice. This occurs mostly in the winter months, at least at the higher levels. Lower levels of water can occur at any time of high tide, but not always.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
8,967 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Level

You must have been in Venice for only 3 hrs then as that is the approx time it stays under when there is high water. Last winter we had as far as I recall 1 or 2 only the winter before I lost count. It is impossible to predict rather like the weather

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,862 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Level

You were very unlucky., all the times I have been to Venice , not in the depth of Winter, I have only encountered a acqua alta once,,. and that only lasted a few hours,

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Level

A full moon is often a key contributing factor to aqua alta, especially in the winter, so you could plan a visit when there is no full moon. As others say, flooding is very temporary and the Venice commune website shows tide predictions for a few days ahead, so you can check the predictions and organise your activities taking account of the tides.

5. Re: Water Level

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 21:33
Edited: 17 October 2012, 21:33
UK
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Level

It's not just full moon, acqua alta [sic] [plural: acque alte] occurs at new moon too. So that's about once a fortnight. But there are two high tides each day, and, if conditions are really favourable (or unfavourable, depending on your point of view), there may be acque alte on a couple of days before new and full moon and a couple of days after. As Rosa503 says, the acqua alta only lasts for an hour or two. Obviously, the higher the water gets to, the longer it's going to last.

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Level

Thanks for the good info. I have made 4 trips over the last 30 years and twice this has happened to me. I get stuck on the mainland side as they stopped the ferry boats. Thanks again.

UK
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Level

You must have been very unlucky. In 13 trips I have only experienced it on a few occasions and often they occurred at night.

As previous posts have mentioned it is generally only likely around late Autumn and Winter around new and full moon when several other, less predicatble factors such as a stong Sirocco, come into play.

When it does occur the city is well prepared. There is an alarm system that signals events several hours n advance. Online you can find predictions for the next 72 hours, maps of areas that flood at varying tide heights and the routes of passarelle erected to provide walking routes throught the city.

Disruptions to vaporetti are detailed in the the timetable booklet available from manned vaporetto stops. The description of restrictions/alterations is only in Italian but not difficult to decypher..

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Level

You said: " I have made 4 trips over the last 30 years and twice this has happened to me. I get stuck on the mainland side as they stopped the ferry boats."

This has me puzzled. Where were you and where were you trying to go? By "the ferry boats" do you mean the vaporetti (water buses)? What do you mean by "the mainland side"?

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
8,967 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water Level

Well we have just had a mini tornado in the city centre......thats a first for me in Venice I can tell you.......