We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confirm early morning transportation to the airport please

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Confirm early morning transportation to the airport please

Hi, I have read thru all the posts regarding getting to the airport early, but I am hoping someone can confirm my understanding is correct. :)

I have a 9:35 am flight out of the Marco Polo airport, so originally I was planning on catching the 7:03 am Alilaguna public ferry which arrives at the airport at 8 am.

However, people have pointed out that a seat on the ferry is not guaranteed, and that taking a vaporetto to P. Rome then catching a bus to the airport would be faster/guaranteed.

Questions:

1. Is the vaporetto an ACTV line (#1 or #2), and which would be recommended for me to catch to go from Rialto to P. Rome as quickly as possible? I see the timetables which show service from P. Rome to Rialto, but not from Rialto to P. Rome (not sure how to read timetables)

2. Which bus company would i use to go from P. Rome to the airport the quickest, ACTV or ATVO, and which bus number is best?

3. For early Oct, should I chance the Alilaguna ferry or is the possibility of not getting a seat high enough to go vaporetto+bus?

4. If I book a shared water bus (Airport Link from Rialto to airport), would this be best in terms of getting a guaranteed seat AND getting to the airport fastest?

5. What time do I need to be at the airport for an 9:35 am flight? I read some answers saying 2 hours in advance, others saying 45 mins in advance is fine. I read that if I take water transportation, it's a 10 min walk from the dock to the airport checkin area, whereas the bus drops you off right at the terminal.

Thanks so much for your clarification, I just got a little confused reading through various posts on this subject! =)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,418 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confirm early morning transportation to the airport please

Check with your airline how long you need to check in, it can vary,

There are plenty of Vaporetti from Rialto to Piazzale Roma, the 1 line runs every 10 minutes, and I believe the 2 is about the same it is approx 10/15 journey, , both Buses takes around 20/25 minutes to get to Marco Polo Airport, the ATVO is non stop, both cost €6. I do think this is the way to go, nthe buses drop directly outside the Terminal,

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,901 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confirm early morning transportation to the airport please

I can't comment on Alilaguna as I almost never use it. However, the simple solution is to go to the Rialto vaporetto stop and catch the first no 1 or no 2 that comes along - they are very frequent. It takes about 20 minutes to Piazzale Roma.

At Piazzale Roma, catch the ACTV no 5 bus to the airport, which also takes about 20 minutes. The bus goes every 15 minutes after 07.00, and every 30 minutes before that.

Re airport check in times, these vary - you need to check with your airline.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confirm early morning transportation to the airport please

Thank you both so much! =)

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confirm early morning transportation to the airport please

Thanks again for your help, based on your responses I've put together the following timelines--can someone please review and ensure the 24-hour ACTV pass + airport bus ticket package (24 Euros) will work the way I think it will? I want to make sure I understand the timing prior to purchasing it--thanks!!

10/12: 9 am: Validate 24-hour ACTV Pass

10/13:

7:30 am: Arrive at Rialto vaporetto boarding area, lines 1 and 2 run every 10 mins

7:45 am: Take Vaporetto from Rialto to Piazzale Roma (15 mins ride)--pass should still be valid

8:00 am: Arrive at Piazzale Roma, walk to bus station

8:15 am: Catch the ACTV no 5 bus to the airport (arrives every 15 mins, 20 mins ride)

8:35 am: Arrive at airport terminal, go thru security with carry-on bags (already have boarding passes printed out)

8:55 am: Arrive at boarding area at least 30 mins prior to flight (per EasyJet rules)

9:35 flight

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,418 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confirm early morning transportation to the airport please

Seems fine, lets hope it all goes so smoothly at the time,

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
55 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confirm early morning transportation to the airport please

Could you let us know how it worked out, my family and I are making a similar trip to Marco Polo in the Spring. Thanks.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confirm early morning transportation to the airport please

Thanks so much for the confirmation, sophie8, I really appreciate it!

Karasdad, yes, I'll try to remember to update if the plan worked (buying the 24 hour card + one-way airport bus transfer). If I forget, send me a PM. :)

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confirm early morning transportation to the airport please

I would always be at the airport at least 2 hours before, and even with that I have often only just made it, you are only allowing yourself 20 mins to get through security. What if the lines are huge ? Or you get stopped and your bags searched? Or even a traffic delay ?

I would not risk it for an extra hour in bed, just my opinion

Edited: 28 September 2012, 08:22
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confirm early morning transportation to the airport please

I think you are pushing it to be honest...they are really strict about the cut off for check in and if you are a bit late you will be denied boarding....plus all you need is a delay in security or maybe a traffic delay and t will be busy at that time of the morning..i would bring it forward...

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Confirm early morning transportation to the airport please

In theory it's doable. But I agree with the previous two posters. It's going to be tight. It depends on whether you get stressed out or not. I'd be uncomfortable to say the least. I'd rather arrive an hour early and fill the time with my last cappuccino before leaving Italy.