We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Interlaken(Switzerland) Train or Flight?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Venice to Interlaken(Switzerland) Train or Flight?

Hi All,

I first like to thank you all for your valuable information shared in tripadvisor.

I will be visiting Venice during April 2013 for a leisure tour and wil be travelling to switzerland (Interlaken/Lucern) from there.

I just tried to get the following information for venice to Interlaken by train and flight.

Can some of you give some input for me to decide about train or flight? I will be travelling with my wife and some luggage as well.

Flight:

Brussel Airlines: 08:35 - 1 stop (4hr layover) - reaches Zurich at 16:15. FARE: 121 euro per person incl. tax

(The above fare only on Saturdays)

Zürich Flughafen (via Bern) to Interlaken West by train

Train:

Venice-Milano-Lugano-Olten-Interlaken West (not sure about the exact fare)

Please assume I will be taking swiss saver pass during the trip and let me know whether 121 euro per person for flight is worth spending compared to train fare.

Thank you

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,150 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Interlaken(Switzerland) Train or Flight?

When flying, add on to the cost €6 for the cheapest way of getting to Venice airport (bus), and add on to the time maybe four to five hours for the journey to Venice Airport (20 minutes), from Zurich airport to Interlaken (2.25 hours, one change in Zurich), plus connection times and processing time at airports either end.

Cost of an Economy train ticket from Venezia S. Lucia to Milano Centrale starts at €9 booked shortly after the date booking opens around 120 days in advance from http://www.trenitalia.com - prices rise by increments of €10 as the cheapest fares sell out.

Cost of a GA Switzerland fare (for Swiss Pass holders) from Milan to Spiez on http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html (a different website) is €15.90. Select a direct train to Spiez, click Continue, then choose the fare from the Select your fare menu. You could also take a train to Brig with more options, but an extra change would be necessary in Switzerland. Can be booked on the day at a train station with this fare, but for security book online a few weeks in advance.

Time by air on your chosen flight, around 12 hours with four transfers, cost €127. Time by train, from 6.5 hours with two transfers, cost from €25.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Interlaken(Switzerland) Train or Flight?

Hello,

There may be flights that are more convenient, without the long layover.

But the train is also convenient and comfortable, and will cost much less, especially if you will have a Swiss Pass. From Venice to Milano,mthe regular fare is 36 euro, but if you buy in advance on the Trenitalia website, you may be able to get the Economy fare of 9,00 euro. Be aware the Economy fares are non-refundable and the ticket cannot be changed.

Then from Milan into Switzerland,,you will pay only as far as the border at Chiasso if you have a Swiss Pass. That fare is 14,20 euro.

There is a shorter route from Milan to InterlakennOst than through Bern and Olten. Take the train going to Zurich, but leave it at Arth-Goldau. Change there for a train the short distance to Luzern. At Luzern you catch a train going west to InterlakennOst ( both Ost and West).

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Interlaken(Switzerland) Train or Flight?

We were posting at the same time! I will just add that I prefer the train route through Luzern over the one going north through Spiez. That one ha two very long tunnels under the Alps. The Luzern route has tunnels too, but they are comparatively short. You see much more of the Alps on that route.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Interlaken(Switzerland) Train or Flight?

Form Milan to Spiez, which is the shortest route from Milan to Interlaken, you do not pass through Chiasso. The border station on this line is Domodossola.

It is true that there is an alternative route from Milan to Interlaken (passing through Chiasso). But this takes more than 2.5 hours longer and requires two changes of train (at Arth-Goldau and Lucerne) rather than the one change of train at Spiez.

It is also true that you can simply buy ordinary tickets to Domodossola (or Chiasso) rather than buying the dedicated GA Switzerland ticket for Swiss Pass holders which gives you a reserved seat all the way through to your train's destination. However, to Domodossola, this will not save you any money unless you manage to buy an Economy ticket well in advance for €9.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Interlaken(Switzerland) Train or Flight?

to clarify, I was not suggesting they simply buy a ticket to Chiasso (or Domodossola). The 14,20 euro is what Trenitalia shows as the fare from Milano Centrale to Arth-Goldau (or Zurich) when you use a Swiss Pass to cover the portion of the journey in Switzerland. Selecting "GA Switzerland2) under "other fares" will give this option. Then you have a reserved seat the whole way. The fare is the same if you go via Spiez (14,20 euros, which covers to Domodossola).

And yes the Spiez route is much faster, especially if you take the 11:25 train from Milano.. I just hate long tunnels, so we go the other way, often breaking up the journey with an overnight stop at Rigi. But for the sake of efficiency most people would take the Spiez route, unless they are looking for a slower journey with nice scenery.

So going the shorter route, they have 2.5 hours from Venice to Milan and 3 hours from Milan to Interlaken West (via Spiez). Even with waiting time at Milan to change trains, this is likely much better than flying.

Edited: 20 November 2012, 19:02
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,150 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Interlaken(Switzerland) Train or Flight?

Don't select GA Switzerland 2 - this particular fare is for people who possess both a Swiss Pass and an Italian reduced-fare pass for trains in Italy, such as the Youth and Senior Citizen passes which you can buy (though that's complicated and almost never ever worth the outlay for tourists).

With just the Swiss Pass you must select GA Switzerland without the '2'.

Unless you have a half-fare Swiss Pass, in which case you need the more expensive HTX Switzerland fare. Without the '2'!

Edited: 21 November 2012, 00:37
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice to Interlaken(Switzerland) Train or Flight?

Thank you perilizia and Enzian for your time and valuable inputs.

I understand your suggestions, have decided to go in train and i have following queries to proceed further.

1. My updated plan is like below,

2 days in Lucern, 2 days in Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen, 1 day in Zurich (as to catch return flight).

So what will be the best route? Venice-Milan-Lucern (via spiez or Arth-Goldau)? (I dont mind spending couple of more hours if the route is scenic)

2. Is it possible to book ticket in trenitalia.com online which gives me an e-ticket?

3. I am not planning to buy the Swiss pass in advance from here in India, as the currency conversion and postage charges may become more. So is it possible to get swiss pass in Milan? If i dont buy in advance, will I be able to book ticket in trenitalia.com with "GA switzerland" option and buy swiss pass at Milan or somewhere? or you suggest to buy it in advance and get it delivered to India?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,150 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice to Interlaken(Switzerland) Train or Flight?

If going first to Lucerne (rather than to Grindelwald), the best route is via Arth-Goldau. There is also one direct train a day between Milan and Lucerne (which passes through Arth-Goldau).

You cannot book an e-ticket from Italy to Lucerne. Book a GA Switzerland fare from Milan to Arth-Goldau (or to Lucerne on the direct train) - the ticket must be collected from a ticket machine in any major Italian station (e.g. in Venice or Milan) using the code supplied by e-mail.

You can get an e-ticket for Venice-Milan.

GA Switzerland fares can be bought on the day of travel if you are in possession of a Swiss Pass. If buying on the day, you will pay the full Base price for tickets from Venice to Milan.

I'm not sure about the Swiss Pass. I imagine you can buy through Italian travel agents though I do not know. I suspect it might be better to buy online and have it delivered to India.

Edited: 21 November 2012, 12:24
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice to Interlaken(Switzerland) Train or Flight?

So you mean to say, if I already have the swiss pass (by delivering it to India) then I can avail GA Switzerland fares ?

Do I need to get the swiss pass in hand first before doing online reservation?

(the question is just selecting GA switzerland will it ask for swiss pass reference number? or just select GA fare and may required to show the swiss pass to ticket examiner during the journey)

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,150 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice to Interlaken(Switzerland) Train or Flight?

To get the GA fare online, you must enter the number of your Pass,, or as much of the number as you can as the space allowed is often insufficient.

You will certainly be asked to show your Swiss Pass during the journey. In fact, the Swiss ticket inspector will have to validate your pass on board the train as this will be its first day of use.