We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schedule to see attractions

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
897 reviews
Save Topic
Schedule to see attractions

We are trying to come up with a schedule to see the attractions of Venice that makes sense in terms of location and to minimize crowds. We will have our breakfast as early as possible. The things we want to see are: do a ride along the Grand Canal. We are staying at the Hotel Grand Canal so it may make sense to take this ride to St Mark Square right after breakfast. In Piazza San Marco, we want to see Campanile, St Mark Basilica, Doges Palace, Bridge of Sighs, Rialto Market and take the vaporetto to Burano from Fondamenta Nuove. We will be there in early July for 2 nights . We arrive late the first night, have all of the following day and night, and then our train leaves the next day at 8pm. We can only take so many museums. The Secret Trails of the Palazzo Ducale sounds interesting as does taking the #1 water bus. If we have time, we can try to fit in Murano or Torcelli. We tend to move quickly. Thank you in advance for your help.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,540 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Schedule to see attractions

Such a short visit why bother with the Islands more than enough to see in Venice.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
897 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schedule to see attractions

Burano is one place that I really want to see. I figure we can go in the afternoon to get away from some of the crowds. Thank you.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,540 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Schedule to see attractions

You can really get away from crowds in Venice very easily ,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Schedule to see attractions

The crowds are in St Mark's Square and along the tourist trail from there to Piazzale Roma via Rialto. Get 100 yards away from this trail, on either side, and you can be walking next to a canal with no-one else in sight. Even in August.

Chicago
Level Contributor
228 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Schedule to see attractions

Burano is lovely and worth a visit -- if only you had more time. It will take the whole afternoon when you factor in the time for transport. Likewise, the sights in San Marco will take the better part of a day, especially if you schedule the Secret Itineries tour. It's a great tour, but if I recall correctly, it's only offered in English a couple times a day so you really have to structure your whole schedule around it.

We were there last July and it was quite crowded, so plan accordingly. Pre-book whatever you can -- I would pre-reserve a time for the Basilica. It'll cost you a euro, but could save you tons of time in line.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Schedule to see attractions

angeleyes: It's your trip so you get to choose what you want to see but there is so much more to Venice than just St. Mark's Square and Rialto Market. Look at the wealth of info on the Venice Travel Guide:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187870-s1/Venice:Ita…

Everyone has a different style of travel, but Venice is not someplace to do quickly. You don't have to spend a lot of time in museums to enjoy Venice - one of the great joys of Venice is walking around the different areas and making your own discoveries. If you concentrate only on St. Mark's Square and the Rialto Market there is no way to minimize the massive crowds you will find in those areas and enjoy seeing what makes Venice unique.

But, if you use that second day to visit other areas of Venice away from San Marco and the Rialto area, you will not have to worry about minimizing the crowds - and I daresay - you will have a much more satisfying and enjoyable visit to Venice.

Burano is cute but I wouldn't sacrifice the precious small amount of time you have to visit.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Schedule to see attractions

From my experience of visiting Burano twice this year - in April and September - you will not be escaping the crowds there. Burano was far more crowded than many parts of Venice.

UK
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Schedule to see attractions

"The attractions of Venice" sounds a bit like you might refer to Las Vegas or Blackpool. With so little time, I would give the Campanile a miss - the view is not that great, just a lot of red rooftops. The Secret Itinerary tour takes a bit over an hour, and then you might spend another hour to see the rest of the Palazzo Ducale - you've already paid to get in, so you might as well. There is no need to pre-book the Basilica. Just take a bag to the bag depository (signposted at the entrance to the Basilica), take the token you will be given straight to the official at the head of the line and you will be let straight in. You could easily spend hours inside, but allow at least an hour. The view from the loggia (admission charge) is as good as the view from the Campanile (imo).

Get a 12 hour ticket for the vaporetti and use it from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (or equivalent. Go along the Grand Canal in the morning and at night. Give Burano a miss this time - you haven't got enough time.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Schedule to see attractions

It truly is very easy to get away from the crowds and still be in Venice proper. Here is a collection of photos I've taken on two separate trips in May (2008 and 2011), taken at a time of day when the Rialto and Piazza San Marco were packed:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwxKYeQ

You'll likely fall in love with Venice and have to return. That's when it would be a good time to visit the other islands, in one fell swoop.

Happy travels.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Schedule to see attractions

I would get to San Macro early and skip the Secret Itineraries tour. everyone seems to like it but I took it and found it to be the least interesting part of being at Doges Palace. Just wandering around is most delightful and grand. Leave time to wander the amazing courtyard before you leave the palace. I'd go there, and St. Marks then have lunch nearby and then head over to the Islands but it takes close to half an hour to get to the vaporetto stop that goes there either by foot or another vaporetto before the 40 minute ride to Burano. I found half the fun of Venice to just wander around and get semi lost but I spent 10 days there and am going back for more.