We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels with picture-post card terraces right on Grand Canal

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels with picture-post card terraces right on Grand Canal

Looking for the PERFECT hotel terrace from which to watch canal life glide by while sipping some vino. Would like a locale with restaurants, interesting places to walk, etc. Our budget would allow up to $500/nt. Will appreciate any recs and much thanks.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,422 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels with picture-post card terraces right on Grand Canal

I stayed in the Hotel Canal Grande a excellent hotel in a quiet but central location with great views. Have a look at my trip report and photographs for further information:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k576…

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,844 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels with picture-post card terraces right on Grand Canal

Beware that much of life on the Grand Canal is comprised mostly of: public transportation, often with the tourists oozing over the sides and out the windows in order to wave to passers-by hoping to get a wave back (usually only other tourists wave back) or to film the passers-by with their iPad (blocking the view for anyone behind them); gondolas (generally filled with other tourists), being low to the water they don't really block anyone's view, luckily; water taxis (usually more tourists, or the occasional visiting politician or VIP) with the chic crowd; transportation and delivery boats (to restock the stores) mostly so they can sell more souvenirs to the tourists.

So the "life gliding by" will rarely be a member of one of the noble families of Venice being carted around by their "gondolier de casada" on the way to their important political appointments at Palazzo Ducale...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels with picture-post card terraces right on Grand Canal

I stayed at the Monaco Grand Canal last year. It's right on the grand canal and has a fabulous terrace over looking the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore as well as the Basilica of Santa Maria Della Salute. I would definitely recommend it.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,829 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels with picture-post card terraces right on Grand Canal

A lovely Hotel with views over to the Rialto Market area is the Foscari Palace

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187870-d3053…

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,191 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels with picture-post card terraces right on Grand Canal

Would agree with Sophie on Foscari Palace, a lovely terrace and view over the Grand Canal

6. Re: Hotels with picture-post card terraces right on Grand Canal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2013, 10:17