We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teatro la fenice - central gallery good seats for opera?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Teatro la fenice - central gallery good seats for opera?

Does anyone know if the central gallery seats are any good for a view of the opera?

I am looking to book tickets for La traviata or carmen (probably la traviata as carmen seems very long showing time) for september.

I have scoured TA and understand the best views to be stalls or central boxes. I cannot find much information about central gallery seats (on the 3rd tier) I know it is high but I wondered if it is central maybe its worth a shot before I plunge for the expensive seats!?

Thankyou in advance for taking the time to reply. I hope you can help..

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teatro la fenice - central gallery good seats for opera?

The central gallery is a long way up but there is a pretty good view of the stage - in some ways, better than the (more expensive) side boxes. Go for it!

La Fenice has become noticeably more expensive in recent years, and it is more geared to us tourists than it used to be - not surprising, given the state of the Italian economy! But it is still a memorable experience - best to get there early, wander round admiring the chandeliers and the posh frocks, have a prosecco in the bar :-)

Edited: 09 January 2013, 16:30
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teatro la fenice - central gallery good seats for opera?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Im just thinking the centre gallery would be the best economical option, how is the seating arranged for the gallery? I.e box

Looking at the photos it seems to be the boxes located above the president box?

Nova Scotia Canada
Level Contributor
677 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teatro la fenice - central gallery good seats for opera?

Boxes located on the sides near the stage made it very difficult to see the whole stage-very disappointing and expensive.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teatro la fenice - central gallery good seats for opera?

Yes thats why I am looking at getting seats centrally. Heard allot of bad reviews about side seats. So its anywhere central really..

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Teatro la fenice - central gallery good seats for opera?

The gallery is just normal rows of seats - the boxes are only at the lower levels. The side boxes are OK as long as you sit in the front row. But they are (even) more expensive than the gallery.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 11:18
Surrey
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Teatro la fenice - central gallery good seats for opera?

i would not let the performance length of Carmen put you off. Carmen is one of the most enjoyable operas for non-opera buffs. It's also more likely to be a big spectacle production than La Traviata.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Teatro la fenice - central gallery good seats for opera?

I agree with illyria (I usually do ;-). If anything, Carmen is an even more accessible and listener-friendly opera than Traviata.

UK
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Teatro la fenice - central gallery good seats for opera?

In case you are not aware the Carmen and La Traviata productions at La Fenice are neither conventional nor traditional. Here are two reviews:

http://tinyurl.com/agw29vf

…wordpress.com/2011/…

I agree with others sit centrally. We've had some miserable experiences seated in side boxes.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 14:37
UK
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Teatro la fenice - central gallery good seats for opera?

Sorry, here is the Carmen review:

http://tinyurl.com/bo79nso

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Teatro la fenice - central gallery good seats for opera?

Very interesting reviews - thanks Joanna! OP, you have been warned. It might be safest to go for Traviata after all, unless you are up for the naked male dancer................