We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secret Itineraries Tour -Private Guide or Group Guide?

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Secret Itineraries Tour -Private Guide or Group Guide?

My family including 4 teenagers will be in Venice June 18-21. I had planned to included the Secret Itineraries tour as part of a several hour private tour I am working on with a guide. However, I just found out that private tour guides can only take a maximum of 5 people on the tour. If I book a tour through Doges Palace the groups are a large as 25. I realize we have to be on a guided tour for the SI tour one way or another.

My question - Should I just book my entire family on one of the guided SI tours offered or is it worth using the private tour guide for my kids and my husband and I will just go on the group guided tour?

I want the kids to have a good experience but don't know if it is worth the hassle to split up.

Any thoughts?

I

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,088 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secret Itineraries Tour -Private Guide or Group Guide?

I was not aware there are private tours may be wrong, but tour of 25 people are good , very experienced guides and very popular booking site

www.vivaticket.it/index.php…

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Secret Itineraries Tour -Private Guide or Group Guide?

Are you sure that the SI tour included with the private tour isn't actually the regular SI tour that's just included with your private tour? I enjoyed the regular SI tour and also wasn't aware that they're allowing private guides to do the SI tour.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secret Itineraries Tour -Private Guide or Group Guide?

Walks of Italy provides the SI tour along with a tour of St Mark's Basilica but you pay a premium because there are only 12 people in the group.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,373 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secret Itineraries Tour -Private Guide or Group Guide?

I think you will be fine with a group tour. I really do not see a reason to use a private guide.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,088 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secret Itineraries Tour -Private Guide or Group Guide?

May be wrong but looking at the Tours of Italy site,. I cannot see the

parts of the Doges Palace that are in the Secret Itineraries tour included

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secret Itineraries Tour -Private Guide or Group Guide?

It is Walks of Italy not Tours of Italy but it is nearly 100 euro for a three and a half tour of doge's (inc SI) and st mark's.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,088 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secret Itineraries Tour -Private Guide or Group Guide?

Sorry I meant Walks,

walksofitaly.com/tour_bookings/…4

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secret Itineraries Tour -Private Guide or Group Guide?

Here you go sophie walksofitaly.com/tour_bookings/…56

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secret Itineraries Tour -Private Guide or Group Guide?

Thanks for the information. I think I will just go with the group Secret Itineraries tour offered by Doges Palace. Most people give the tour a positive review and it sounds like the majority of people use the tour that is offered and not a private guide so we should be fine. I'm sure the Walks of Italy tour is great - but probably not worth nearly 600 euros for my family of six.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
5 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secret Itineraries Tour -Private Guide or Group Guide?

I so wish I had seen this earlier - walksof italy looks brilliant and I would have loved to have done the food walk but they are all booked up when we go!