We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

typical tourist

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
221 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
typical tourist

Hello,

Two quick questions......

We'll be in Venice in June. Anyone know how much we can expect to pay for a typical gondola ride?

and....

Should we take the rowing lessons for fun or just do the gondola ride?

Any restaurant suggestions also appreciated! 2 adults, 2 teens.

Thanks

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: typical tourist

There is a "fixed" rate but in my experience it may vary slightly depending on the gondolier and route. A guideline would be €80-100 for a 30 to 40 minute ride.

TAB

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: typical tourist

There's good info on gondola rides in this link. For an inexpensive experience, consider a traghetto, also in this link.

europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/local-…

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: typical tourist

If you are interested in learning how to row, there is a non-profit group that has lessons. It's not a gondola but it is a traditional boat used in Venice.

I wish I had time to do it!

http://rowvenice.com/

There is a current thread on the Slow Travel site about some recent experience.

www.slowtrav.com

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,416 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: typical tourist

www.gondolavenezia.it/history_tariffe.asp… has the official gondola costs, which should be the maximum unless the gondola is offering you something more (music, wine, one-way drop-off, etc.).

http://www.lagunavenice.com/ is another place that has Venetian style rowing lessons which is very well known, particularly in Cannaregio (the woman in charge is a local rowing legend, and her family used to own the Pizzeria Tre Archi, which was decorated by all of her dozens and dozens of championship banners).

And the traghetto is a completely different experience from a gondola ride, and I don't think they really have much anything in common at all. Sort of a 3 minute hay ride in the back of an old pickup truck at the county fair compared to a horse drawn buggy ride through Central Park.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 04:51
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: typical tourist

"Sort of a 3 minute hay ride in the back of an old pickup truck at the county fair compared to a horse drawn buggy ride through Central Park." Agreed, but without the animal abuse.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,415 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: typical tourist

Note that the price of a gondola is for the hire of the whole gondola however many people there ar in your party up to the capacity of the gondola. If you decide to share with someone else make sure you are not charged mor than the official price.

Resturants - you do not say whereabouts in Venice you will be staying. I usually take my teenage grandchildren when we stay in Dorsoduro sestiere to the Taverna San Trovaso or the Cantinone Storico. Both offer a wide ranging menu so lots to choose from.

7. Re: typical tourist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 07:16