We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow!

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Snow!

It's snowing in Venice right now. Lovely to look at but the snow must be disrupting the Carnevale festivities.

http://www.camhotelconcordia.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow!

Oh, that's barely a whisper - I can't see how much disruption that will cause unless it starts to really snow heavily. Looks lovely. What a treat to see it - even in that small amount of snow.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,127 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow!

I always say illyria, lovely but best on Christmas cards,

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow!

MomCat - Agree the snow is nothing compared to recent snowfalls in New York, but people are not going to be out in the Piazza in their elaborate costumes and many of the official outdoor events are likely to be cancelled - you can see from the webcam that there's nothing taking place on the stage and there are very few people in the Piazza.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow!

Must be more than I can see on the webcam because mostly what I can see looks like a bit of very very light snow - I'm not even comparing it to 8 inches of snow in NYC, of course - just that it doesn't even look like very much on the webcam for me for some reason.

Maybe they can move some events indoors somewhere - though I imagine that would be hard to find last minute but they must have some contingency plans - after all it is always in February and it sometimes snows then.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow!

I've just read on the official carnevale website that the events in the Piazza have been cancelled today because of the bad weather. Also noticed separately that there is a very high tide forecast for after midnight tonight. What a nightmare for the city and carnevale finale.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow!

The Commune is now advising residents to stay indoors because of the snow.

The webcam images of the snow-covered Piazza are magical.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,081 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow!

It does look more snowy now - looks really pretty. Must be nice to see along the canals as well. How much snow is predicted?

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow!

Why would they stay indoors because of a little snow? Maybe infirm people, but I would think most folks would be OK.

UK
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow!

Staying in would seem wise as a peak tide of 160 is forecast for 00:15. This would be the third highest acqua alta on record so be very careful if you are there today. This will cause major disruption to travel by vaporetto or by foot.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 18:36
Surrey
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow!

On the webcam you can already see the water coming up through the drains amongst the snow. I would think that parts of the Piazza carnevale stage will be damaged by the exceptional high tide.