We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Train from Paris to Venice - What if you're a smoker?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saginaw, Michigan
Level Contributor
60 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Train from Paris to Venice - What if you're a smoker?

I know the Italian trains are non-smoking, but are there stops along the way on the night train where one may hop off for a quick smoke?

Thank you for the assistance!

Cathy

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,419 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Train from Paris to Venice - What if you're a smoker?

Stay at home??

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Train from Paris to Venice - What if you're a smoker?

Usually all night trains only have non-smoker compartments, except in sitting coaches. If this train has french cars, there will be probably some smoker's compartments, if it's an italian train, you will have a problem. During the night, the train will stop, for example at the border where they often change the locomotive but ASK the conductor before! Do only exit the train if it's standing at a platform and if it's not an official stop only after asking the conductor/steward.

Maybe someone else has used this train and can give you details!

Saginaw, Michigan
Level Contributor
60 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Train from Paris to Venice - What if you're a smoker?

Thank you Robbi, for your assistance.

Saginaw, Michigan
Level Contributor
60 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Train from Paris to Venice - What if you're a smoker?

Robert-J, I apologize if you felt my question was rude and deserving of a less than polite response. I did not mean to offend.

Thank you,

Cathy

rome
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Train from Paris to Venice - What if you're a smoker?

Cathy you come on over to Italy. Don't worry about being told to stay at home from someone who isn't even from Italy.

Enjoy our lovely country and be sure that Italians will not be so rude to you given that many of them also smoke.

Italy welcomes tourism doesn't drive it away and doesn't take kindly to others who do it for us.

Saginaw, Michigan
Level Contributor
60 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Train from Paris to Venice - What if you're a smoker?

robifromrome, I Love You!

My husband and I ARE coming to Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice for two weeks in April) and I've just started to do my research. I was somewhat surprised by Rober-J's response (I've always found Brits to be very polite), particularly since TripAdvisor had tagged him as a "local expert".

Robi, again, thank you so much for your kind response! I will keep closer tabs on the Rome and Florence forums for additional advice and information. Take Care!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Train from Paris to Venice - What if you're a smoker?

Kimmielou, I would imagine Robert-J has some sort of personal vehement anti-smoking thing... and I must admit I find myself thinking "if you're a smoker... well, try stopping!". But, that's neither here nor there. Could you not try some sort of, I don't know, nicotine patch or something, or some of that chewing gum stuff? Not to stop completely, just to get you through the train journey? Otherwise, yeah, I'm not sure about that specific night train but the ones I've been on in Italy have made fairly lengthy stops at certain stations, but as Robi says, ask before you get off! And I imagine a fair few of your fellow passengers will be in the same boat so see what they do... To be honest in the UK (where trains are also non-smoking), I've seen people just go and stand by the open doors at a station and smoke a very quick cigarette. Less risky than actually getting off I suppose, but I'm not sure if that would be frowned upon...

Saginaw, Michigan
Level Contributor
60 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Train from Paris to Venice - What if you're a smoker?

Good Morning Vicki, and thank you so much for the additional information. Actually, I do not smoke but my husband does, and I was concerned for him. He knows I would like to take the train versus a quick flight, he wants me to have that experience and so has said he will "gut it out". I, on the other hand, am concerned for his comfort. (Ah, love!)

I was trying to ascertain whether there will be ANY opportunities whatsoever during the approximately 12-14 hour train ride, and it appears (from your answer) there may be, as long as he is careful to communicate with the staff on the train.

Again Vicki, thank you and have a wonderful day!

Cathy

9. Re: Help! Train from Paris to Venice - What if you're a smoker?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2006, 16:56
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,419 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Train from Paris to Venice - What if you're a smoker?

Javiscap is still cruising around eh? Thought he might have mellowed. No hope of him swimming off into the deep blue ocean and taking his prejudices with him is there?

Sorry if I hurt you feelings kimmielou01 but as a biological scientist I am very strongly anti-smoking. I do not feel smokers have the right to go around damaging the health of innocent bystanders in pursuit of their addiction to nicotine.

Lung cancer is widespread and the vast majority of lung cancer cases are caused by either active or passive smoking. If active smokers wish to commit a slow and ultimately very painfull form of suicide that is their affair but when they inflict their disgusting habit on other people that is plain wrong.

Slowly all Europe is beginning to realise smoking is a major health problem and active smoking in many areas is being banned, The sooner the better so that we can all be a good deal healthier.